Mountain Buzz banner

WANTED: Cataract Canyon GUIDES

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  lhowemt 
#1 ·
Hello!
We are a group of experienced mountain guides and backcountry skiers but novice rafters all in our twenties. We have a cataract canyon permit and our friends, AKA "The Guides" for the trip, have had to bail on account of early high water where they work, and they just can't get away. We have a few options to salvage our trip, and one of them is to offer a place on our trip to any of you. We are planning on putting in on Friday June 13th to float the flat water up to the rapids, arriving at the rapids on the evening of the 14th, running the rapids the 15th-16th, and taking out on the 17th (if we don't make it to the Lake Powell take out by the night of the 16th).

You could meet us at the put in on the 13th, or take a ferry down to the start of the rapids on Sunday the 15th and just do an overnight. We will likely have 2-3 boats, with at least one person who should be able to follow a well adversed boater down the rapids section (i.e. has some experience) if necessary.

If you are one or two experienced boaters who are interested in rafting cataract canyon with record high water this June, we would love to meet you. We prefer experience on this section of the river, but other similar experience is okay. If you are just one person and want to bring a friend to keep you company that is cool too.

hope to hear from you soon!

Ashley
acolg83@gmail.com

p.s. any other ideas for us to salvage our trip are welcome!

See less See more
#2 ·
HI Ashley-

You might(likely) find some interested boaters on two grand canyon yahoo groups.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gcpba/messages

Rafting_Grand_Canyon : Messages : 2783-2812 of 2812

Have you ever "cold called" people onto a trip? I just got off a grand trip where I didn't know anyone. I got lots of good advice on what to ask and look for, and what to ask and NOT look for. Although on such a short trip you can probably live with anyone. I'd say EXPERIENCE in Cat specifically is important. It will likely still be big and from what I hear it's not like other places, even the grand. Huge rapids with the BD's all in the sequence, not a lot of recovery time.

Good luck and I hope your trip goes off well!

Laura

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.