Old 02-20-2008   #11
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
2 years ago run off in jackson, snake reached a peak of like 21,000 cfs one night, if im remember correctly. now if you want some excitement hit the snake

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #12
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I spent a little time in and around the park. I would highly recommend the North entrance as far as family friendly, affordable, fun, exciting and numerous options go. There is lodging and camping in Gardiner, at Mammoth Hot Springs and on down the river valley towards Livingston.
That end of the park has all the stuff around Mammoth, including the Boiling River hotsprings (which will probably be closed in June due to runoff), and about 20 miles downvalley from the park are Chico Hotsprings, which also has lodging.
As far as WW rafting goes, the Yellowstone through Gardiner is class III, then there is a nice, scenic stretch for 10 or so miles, then Yankee Jim Canyon, which is +III & IV at high water. Certianly a few good drops. This is also big-water style boating, I think its pretty comprable flows to the Snake, but much closer to the park. Not to mention the affordablilty factor.
There's an outfit in Gardiner called Flying Pig who's guides I kayaked with several times a few summers ago. They're a great bunch of folks, are right in Gardiner and have a sweet put-in setup for the Yellowstone right from their shop.
Cody is nice as well, but I gotta say the Shoshone is way smaller, and you are farther from the park. Once in the park, its a long way to the geyser/hotspring basins, going around the lake. This end (east and northeast) of the park is where I have seen the most wildlife. Lots of bison, and seemingly the best concentration of bears, wolves, etc. If you end up there, Core Mountain Sports is the shop to check with.
Jackson is just out of my price range, even to visit. Its quite a ways from Jellystone, all the way north to/through Teton first. And the Snake is 1/2 hour south, but is really a beautiful stretch of river.
West Yellowstone is also pretty nice, and not far from the Gallatin, but still probably an hr. drive. The bonus with this location is the nearness of all the fun geologic features (Old Faithful, Paint Pots, etc.)
Wherever you go, you're gonna have a great time. There is just way too much cool stuff to do up there.

What does education often do? It makes a straight-cut ditch of a free, meandering brook. HENRY DAVID THOREAU, Journal
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #13
FLORIDA, Florida
I'm still researching, has anyone ever stayed at coulter bay? It seems like a great location. If we stay at coulter, it'll be the snake. I'm looking for a cabin for 5 between $100-$150/night. If we stay at the north entrance it will be the yellowstone river. Thanks for the replies, if you have any more suggestions please post them.
MRI39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #14
I have to say, stay clear of Jackson in June, unless you like paying way too much for a vacation. Don't listen to the Experts from other places on rafting options in the area. Ive worked in the industry for many years and won't lead you astray. Jackson's whitewater is 25 miles south of town. June is a high water month there, so If you have little kids, its not ideal. it is scenic and the Snake is a great river, but you will not be alone out there. additionally its more expensive there. There are scenic trips available through Grand Teton Park, but flat moving water.

Cody, where i am from, Has a local river, (the Shoshone), five minutes from town, with a variety of runs on it, but all family style, class II-III. There are a few companies in town but only one that I'd truly send anyone to- Wyoming River Trips, 800-586-6661. They have definitely been around the longest and have the most variety of trips, as well as ducky trips on the main Shoshone. They have the only trip available on the Northfork of the Shoshone that is on National Forest and June is the best month to be on it. It has solid class III rapids, and you float by Grizzlies and moose. Also, this trip is on the way to Yellowstone's East entrance, so they can pick you up near the put in and when you're done, you are ready to head straight into the park.

Gardiner is also good. Yankee Jim canyon on the yellowstone is only minutes away from town. Nothing too hair raising, class II-III,but a good time. Check with Geyser whitewater, or flying pig rafting trips.

Hope this helps, I hate to see too many people get suckered into Jackson, theres a lot more to yellowstone than the hole

shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote