Old 06-03-2014   #1
Greenville, South Carolina
Visiting from SE... where to paddle?

Kicking off a week of boating in Durango this Saturday and then looking to travel and paddle/camp all week. Will end the road trip in BV on Thursday the 12th.

From the looks of it things might be a little high. Looking for 4/5- type of runs. Would love to get suggestions on areas to focus in on and weekday locals to paddle with. Thanks!

natejoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014   #2
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Doest get any better than Upper Frying Pan, Crystal, Castle Creek, and Slaughterhouse if your looking for 5-. Head to the Aspen Area.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

sdillard11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014   #3
Yes... I've done Castle and Slaughterhouse but really would like to do Fryingan and Crystal. You predict all those being in early next week? Wanna join? Last time I was out I remember camping being a challenge around Aspen any suggestions?
Old 06-04-2014   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
You are already headed to the right place. Durango is on the downslope of peak flows and has more good runs in one area than you will find anywhere else.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014   #5
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Upper Fryingpan

Upper Frying Pan is the best thing around and it will be running next week. Peak flows are first thing in the morning. We ran it just under 1000 yesterday and it was amazingly good. There is camping at the takeout and there are some gorilla camp sites along the river. There is a lethal tree about 1/4 mile after the first bridge you come to, which is about half way down, portage on the right. Other than that the wood situation is good. I will be in Denver all next week, but will be back on the weekend if your around.
Hit the Crystal on your way through. You can paddle from Marble to where the river hits HWY 133, its class 4. Lots of wood, but it is pretty clean in the rapids. No mandatory portages. There was a fatality here last week, but he was swimming. Stay in your boat and you'll be fine. The narrows are also going off right now and is a quick shot of adrenaline. Better run it a couple times. Crystal Mill Falls to the Gorge is also a good 4+ section. Lots of wood at the beginning, but cleans up towards the bottom. Lots of camping up there. Don't miss your takeout.
My wife and I (also from Bama-WAR EAGLE) are trying to plan an Upper A trip in a week or so if you find yourself back down south. Have fun.
sdillard11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014   #6
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
For the BV area I would suggest Pine Creek/Numbers, Clear Creek Ark, Upper Lake Creek (if it comes down some). Other nearby options include Eagle Source, Dowd Chute, Bailey....

Perhaps look at Crested Butte options before coming to BV?...if roads are open and flows aren't too high...
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014   #7
Great info guys! Thanks a bunch. And War Eagle!!