Old 08-07-2014   #1
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Paddling Since: 2013
Visiting Colorado-Suggestions Appreciated!

This is a shot in the dark, but I thought I'd give it a whirl. (Sorry ahead of time for the length of my post).

This is basically the short version of my post: I am going to be in Fort Collins, Colorado approximately August 20th-25th on vacation to see if I really want to move out to Colorado after graduating college. I don't have any gear but I was wondering if anybody would be gracious enough to lend me some gear and company on the river, even for just a bit. I know this is a stretch, but I figured I might as well try. Having just come back from a whitewater kayaking trip to the Alps about a month ago, I am itching to get out on the river again, but haven't had the resources in Wisconsin.

If not, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on where a good place to move would be for a beginning/intermediate whitewater paddler. I have paddled Grade 3+ and would like to learn more with a good community of whitewater enthusiasts and a variety of rivers.

And this is the long version if you want to read on...

I am a student in Wisconsin about to graduate in December and willing to move just about anywhere in Summer of 2015. Just about anywhere I can go whitewater kayaking with a lot more ease than Wisconsin. Right now the thought is somewhere in Colorado.

I first got involved with kayaking when I studied abroad in Ireland Fall Semester of 2013. There, I joined an amazing kayaking club at the University of Limerick: ULKC. The amount of gear and training provided to members was insane. Think of providing gear to 50+ people that would go on some of the trips. Helmets, B.A.s, wetsuits, tops, boats. It was truly incredible. All the training and planning was done by other members, so mainly students and some graduated students. It really developed my passion for kayaking. The sport and people in it blew my mind. I was able to learn so much and use their equipment on a great number of trips and pool sessions. I even went back this summer of 2014 to Slovenia and Italy to kayak with the club for two weeks+ on the Soca and Valsesia rivers. It was class. So coming back to the States and having no access to gear in my home of Wisconsin like I did in Ireland is kinda bumming me out. And I currently donít have the funds to go and buy gear, much less have a group of people to kayak with (who can also help me learn more). I am really missing the sport and the community I had overseas.

So, I am looking to connect with people in more whitewater-friendly areas. (Wisconsin doesn't offer too much in the realm of that). I am kind-of going to be making a move after graduating based on kayaking haha... If you have any ideas for places that seem suitable for my interests, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!

You can reply here or message me.

griepedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #2
fort collinsco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Maybe Glenwood Springs area might lead to more year round boating. Fort Collins area rivers don't last that long on average 6-8 weeks

dweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Look into the Upper Arkansas Valley. Probably the longest season of any river in the state. I still got days in December, January and February this last off season. Not a lot of work though, primarily a tourism and ranching community. What kind of work are you going to be looking for?
GARNAís mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #4
If your only need is access to whitewater, there are better year round options than colorado. Colorado has a good boating scene when it's in and it's pretty awesome for seasonal multispots (skiing, mountain biking, climbing, drinking) However if you only want to boat The northwest is where I would head.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote