Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Trip Planner

Old 06-13-2012   #1
Washington D.C., Washington, D.C.
Paddling Since: 2012
VA/MD/WV/PA - Looking for good Class II+ run for June 23-24

Hey everyone! I'm new to the sport this year, but my buddies and I have picked it up pretty quickly, and we're REALLY bored with the Class I/II runs we've done so far in VA.

I know that a lot of water levels aren't at their best right now in the Mid-Atlantic area, but we're looking for a really good 4 to 6 hour run of Class II/II+ (possibly even some III) to try out on June 23-24.

Our main issue with the Class II's we've seen so far on the Maury and Shenandoah Rivers is that they were too short and too few and far between. We literally would blink and miss them; and, with the exception of one or two of them, they didn't require much strategy or skill at all.

So, I've come here to learn from the folks who truly know what they're doing. Can you guys think of any decent runs that fit the description of what we're looking for?

THANK YOU ahead of time!!

PS: Discovering this sport was possibly the greatest thing I have done in more than a decade!!

paleh0rse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #2
Billings, Montana
Try the middle new run out of Fayetteville, WV. 1 class 3.

jwithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #3
Washington D.C., Washington, D.C.
Paddling Since: 2012
Originally Posted by jwithers View Post
Try the middle new run out of Fayetteville, WV. 1 class 3.
thanks for the quick reply! Do you happen to have a link to a map of that run, or to an outfitter that services it where I could find out some more info?
paleh0rse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #4
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
try boatertalk.com for better east coast info. Muddy creek in delta pa is fun but far from VA. North branch of the potomac in western md is a great stepping stone as well. Stony creek in western pa has some nice intermediate sections as well.
jdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #5
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Lehigh River Gorge in PA has dam releases. I think it's right up your alley.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #6
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
As stated above the Lehigh River in NE PA would be perfect for you. It releases every other weekend in summer and it has 25 miles of consistent class II+ water (at release level 800 cfs). I would plan some weekend trips with your buddies for that one. I'm from eastern PA and everybody gets started on that river. I would check the AW site for more information.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #7
Carmichaels, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2010
If you ever make it to south west pa check out OHIOPYLE STATE PARK. The yough river has classes I-V NO VI CLASS

SEARCH THE PARK NAME ... It has links for outfitters
Jim91303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #8
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
My $.02

-AW is an incredible resource, very active on the east coast, a great way to meet paddlers, and a great way to support river conservation (by joining for $33/yr) they sponsor events and do all kinds of work on dam removal and access issues.they fight the good fight for us river rats.
I dont always support charitable Nonprofits, but when I do, it's gonna involve saving the rivers....lol

also as mentioned before you can utilize the river descriptions and flows on their website as a resource for every state nationwide.

btw, you all have A TON of great rivers in the E/SE! year round paddling in some spots. I live in NM, and we have only a handful of creeks, and two good rivers. believe it- you got options
how about the Potomac below great falls or the James river in VA?
Mather gorge & Little Falls are both III, III- on the Potomac right in DC.
(edit): i just looked em up in my copy of this book>>>

the River Gypsies Guidebook to NA-

Although it's primarily the really (really) hard stuff in each region, it has some class III classics, and a lot of area beta for the whole country. maps,directions, drainages and camping, etc...and they are from the East coast.

through AW you can find Paddling clubs, festivals and instruction in your area, as well as swiftwater rescue classes. (a really good idear if you love being on the river.)
Use it, join it, love it....
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #9
Bozeman, Montana
I miss the east side.

If you make it to the Lower Yough, you might as well head over to the Cheat Narrows (near Albright, WV). Pretty fun II/III at all levels. At lower water the Arden section of the Tygart (WV) is beautiful class III, and roadside portagable.

If you want to run a good beginner waterfall, there's Valley Falls on the Tygart as well.
TheFlophouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #10
Reston, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2006
Good proving grounds...

I live in Northern Virginia myself. Here's some stuff I developed my skills on (all class III and below):

Potomac River - Mather Gorge
Potomac River - Little falls run
Goose Creek - Dam to Potomac
Rappahanock River - Motts Run to Fredericksburg city dock
James River - Acadia to Snowden
James River - Richmond

Potomac River - near Harper's Ferry
Shenandoah River - near Harper's Ferry
Cheat River - Narrows
Cheat River - Canyon (do everything else on list first before running this)
New River - Bluestone Dam to Thurmond (portage sandstone falls)

Lehigh River - All sections, but the gorge is the funnest in my opinion.

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote

class ii