Old 06-16-2012   #1
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Upper Colorado at 600+ and camping

With the Poudre down I'm taking my crew up to run trips on the Upper C. The last time I saw it was at 10,000 cfs. Today it's around 650. Anyone have any tips on the currenty level for 13-14 foot rafts? Anyone know anything about the release forecast?

Also, anyone have beta on good group camping if Pumphouse is taken?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #2
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I doubt that camping spots are all taken at Pumphouse. The BLM added a nice new group of sites down at the west end.

650 isn't great, but you can get through with your raft. In addition, the hot springs will be usable!

openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #3
Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I was taking 16' boats down with 9 loads @ 260cfs.. you're fine. its a highway. tons of FREE camping below lower gore along the river. If you REALLY want to pay so you can plug in your phone which wont have service and poop in a pit, Radium has sites as well as Rancho Del Rio if you wanna go down that far.
MountainManJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #4
aka The Curmudgeon
Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
We launched Wed 6/13, camped at Benches, returned yesterday 6/17.

I was expecting flows in 300 cfs range, but we got a little more water, launched at 500+ on Wed, did a lap to pick up more people on Friday, relaunched at something over 600. Nice surprise all the way thru! Not exciting of course, but camping was superb, fishing great, and we did not get hung up anywhere. Scraped twice, nothing serious. If you don't want to camp at PH or R del R, take a groover or two depending on the size of your group. BLM filled in the pit toilet at Benches 3 a couple of years ago. If you do want to stay at PH, the new sites on the river (just downstream from the original campsites 100 yds or so) are quite nice. If you use Launch Ramp#3 there are two 110v elect outlets if you have 110v pumps. It appears that most are just running PH to Radium, ignoring the lower portion, and I don't know why. Unless it's to avoid the fierce afternoon "W".

Thanks for posting the Poudre Pics!
Don't Wanna Die Askin' for Another Chance
captishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #5
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Mucho gracias senor, errrr, Capitan Ishmael. We are thinking of running this section with our family: two teenage daughters with class 2-3 experience and a 9 year old rookie kayaker. We are hoping to put on either June 30th or July 1st through the 3rd of July. The ice cream on the cake for this trip could be seeing Dark Star Orchestra at SB on the 30th!

Probably a group of two 14 foot rafts and a some duckies and kid kayaks. With the kids in the water, my concern rises, and so, we'll set up for success with lead and sweep rafts. My biggest concern is trying to remember about the camping sites in that area. It's been years since I have run the PH to Radium section. I'm sure that there are many threads out there on this, and I will search them out, but can anyone briefly share nicer sights for about for 4-10 people. Specific interest: HOT SPRINGS.
"If you boat with your mouth open in the wind and put your tongue against the roof of your mouth, its impossible to pronounce a word that begins with the letter 's'."
Barney Fife is offline   Reply With Quote