Old 07-27-2009   #21
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
When we went, they charged usthe $3.50 (or something like that) per person, including ones in diapers, then they charged us per vehicle on top of that. I think we did have 2 vehicles parked on account of the car seats and all that for the little guys. 1 boat = $38.

Rancho's was fair. State Bridge was not. When kayaking, at least, you can take out river right where the lodge used to be and go through the tunnel for free.

It takes a big man to cry...It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #22
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
So the State Bridge take-out is private land I take it? The guy can charge whatever he feels like on any given day? Guess I'll be taking out at one of the places before that, or doing longer trips to Catamount!

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009   #23
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
BoilermakerU (and anyone else for that matter)

I too learned this lesson the hard way when I first got my boat and floated the Upper C. Yes it is private land...and yes he can do whatever he wants...

I asked him about other camp spots above State Bridge (on the other side of the road heading back towards Rancho Del Rio) His daughter told me that it was still "really muddy" up there and not worth was going to be getting dark soon so I forked over the money for a camp spot and the take out...I hiked over there anyway and low and behold the free sites up there were perfectly fine and there were at least three - four cars up there all hanging out and having a way better time than me on the private site! I was a little pissed that they didn't have the decency to be honest..considering I made a point of saying that it was the last of my cash...

As it got dark I went for a longer hike..on the dirt road across from his driveway..(coming from Rancho...go across the bridge from the State Bridge site and turn immediately Right onto the dirt road) A mile or so down you will find AWESOME camp sites at least one of which has a take out with a little sand and is cut into the tall grass...the one with the take out is pretty large site and has two tables and a large tree that provides a good bit of shade to camp under..there is also a commode there but bring your own TP. There are a few other sites in this area...but I was really wasted when I was walking around so I don't remember how many or what they are like...

If your just floating in and out its just a tad bit further from the private take out and is also on River Left...just stay left and look for the take out in the tall grass with a big patch of sand...pretty hard to miss...

Another tip...if your driving in to this site and you use a large 2 snowmobile trailer for your raft...put tape over the trailer lights that you can see in your side mirrors...or they will get crushed by all the bushes you whack on the way in (narrow road)..

and folks please remember...if the only take out for these sites is the one I'm talking about...LETS SHARE IT and BE NICE TO ONE ANOTHER

Dont leave your boats sitting there and block it...dont leave a car in front of it...

I don't want to hear about people throwing stoves...fighting over it...

Its PUBLIC LAND and therefore a takeout for EVERYONE!!!!!

Glad I could finally add something to this site! after ya'll have given me so much

Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote