Old 06-26-2010   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Upper Animas Marathon on Monday 6/28

RG5hole and I are headed up for a marathon Upper A trip on Monday with a shuttle leaving Durango around 6AM. Anyone interested in coming along? We're looking for a solid 3rd. We'll leave beer @ Rockwood station for a successful take out. PM or email me, I'll check Sunday evening. If you got my number, give a call.

kevinhindtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Can you tell me how the trip went, and what level you ran it at? It seems to be running low this year, which is confusing as I was under the impression that the San Juans did pretty well snowpack wise, though I confess total ignorance as far as that basin goes...

Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
We decided not to go as it was too low. People in kayaks run it as low as 250 cfs, but be prepared for a long day (or days) of boat abuse scraping and pitoning on rocks. It is none the less incredibly beautiful with long continuous class 3 whitewater with a few spicier rapids thrown in here and there. I'd do an overnighter if I had the time.

We lost a lot of snowpack early in the spring after dust storms and wind, bahh! Certainly shortening our season a bit, and the monsoons do not seem to be in full affect either so far this year. Rockwood Gorge is the most exciting part of the run for the least effort and at this level is splashy and fun class 4. Hike in after the trains have passed for the day, after 5:30. You can scout from the tracks. I'd go there, and may later this evening.

kevinhindtown is offline   Reply With Quote