Old 05-25-2011   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Wow I can win MONEY!? Ok, I'm gonna send you some more pics pronto.

Fluvial Geomorphology Blog
Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011   #12
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by leo_amore View Post
Great to hear you had a fun trip, I have enjoyed your posts running up to this and look forward to our own upcoming SJ trip...even though it appeared to be a mostly successful Gov't run I agree with CD...a crusty old Maine river guide (he won't consider himself crusty yet though!) gave me the best piece of advice about river boating I have yet to receive "Face your danger...back away". It doesn't work everywhere, but has served me well through my first few years of trying to figure this out on my own. Good luck on all future trips and I look forward to more of your TR's!
I got the same advice when I first started rowing...... pull away from danger. I spent my first summer perfecting this technique. Then some seasoned (crusty?) river guides on the Main Salmon taught me how to add a decent forward push and good ferry angles into my game. Now it's all a matter of knowing when to use each stroke to my advantage. One thing my guide friends told me...... you need to either be going faster than the current (pushing hard) or slower than the current (pulling back hard) to maintain control. Staying neutral to the current will get you in trouble.
Looks like you had a blast. LOVE the pool toy duckie. I'm trying out a AAA flip seat bracket on my Cat this year. Sure hope I like it better than you liked that DRE flip seat. The flip seat bracket isn't quite as high.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011   #13
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Hey bayou...we just got off the SJ a few days ago. Launched on about 1600, river dropped and stayed around 1000-1200 the whole way down. I hit that big pillow rock in Gov't also, spun me about 90 degrees - don't feel bad about your run, I have about 20 yrs experience and didn't do much better (started too far left, and I missed a ferry stroke just above it). I did have a much heavier boat.

Good trip - would have wished for better water, but mostly great weather and tons of Bighorn out there. We must have seen 75 or more.

Last day's row out from Slick C was a trial - 10mph to 15mph headwind, gusting to 30mph the entire way down and got stuck three times on sandbars. Longest 8 hours on the oars ever. I have blisters the size of dimes on my left hand.
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #14
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1978
We were a couple days behind you, and had less water when we came to Government (probably less than 700 cfs). The only run we had was to "hug" that same rock, come around it, and work to get right it right to avoid the rocks below... Looks like you guys had a great time - nice duck!
RiverDogDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #15
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
beardance nice, man! Good to hear some veterans might be hitting that rock, too. We hit the same wind as you did but on the second to last day. Gusts 30 mph + and blisters galore. Man, what a workout.

75 Bighorns!? We only saw maybe a dozen. That's awesome.

Fluvial Geomorphology Blog
Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote