Old 06-23-2007   #1
Summit county this weekend?

We're thinking about hitting some stuff in Summit co. this weekend because it'd be some new runs for our group. Can anyone tell me if upper tenmile is worth the trip at just over 300 cfs? I'm also wondering if there are any pics of the V's on it and how runnable they are at low flows? Can anyone give me beta on the blue in Breck or the Snake by keystone? are they fun right now? any insight would be appreciated.

bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007   #2
Stout, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
tenmile snake and blue

upper tenmile is a little low right now, it's still boatable but lots of rock dodging and no class V, it's one mile of consistant water, the best bang for the buck is the upper snake above keystone, it's still running just under 300 which is med/low flow again no class V, but great quality in an awsome setting, more organized rapids than tenmile. The upper blue below silverthorne is a good play run right now at 1300. check out the blue through breck for micro creeking through town (quicksilver run IV-). Hope this helps!

friscofreeskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007   #3
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Upper Tenmile is runnable at 300 but not worth a seperate trip. If you are in Summit, it is certainly worth stopping by and running Upper down to the lake though. There are no real V's in Upper. It just hauls ass with a few pin spots a couple places where there's definitely a preferred line, some wood and some sticky holes. The real reason it's usually called a V (given at high water it deserves the rating) is the culvert. Read Eddyflower description. Scout the whole run from the bike path on river right before you put on.

Upper Snake is mostly IV with one Vish drop you will want to check out before you put on. You can see it from the road as you're driving out: stop at the big pullout with the bridge and no trespassing signs.

Eddyflower is spot on for the Lower Snake (pretty easy) and Quicksilver through Breck Town. Breck playpark is good right now. The stuff below the playpark (III-III+ maybe) is basically a series of about 15 ledgey drops and slides that can be fun. If you run below the Breck Park, I'd recommend taking out at the next point you get to culverts going under the road. You can continue below this all the way to the lake if you want but it's primarily class II with some willows and some likely trespassing around a set of culverts.

I want to do Upper-Lower Snake Sunday morning. Call me if you want to paddle. I probably won't be home, so just leave a message.

P.S. The Upper Blue has some epic play right now. It's almost all catch on the fly but a couple waves have eddies or easy hiking access. Tons of fast and bouncy bluntable rides all over the place. Wave-wheel extroardinaire, too.
"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote