Old 05-09-2013   #1
Arlington, Virginia
Summer Multi Family Trip

My brothers and I are planning a family trip this summer and I'd appreciate some feedback from you "experts".

We want to do a 3 or 4 day guided, camping trip, preferably up to Class IV, although they might be persuaded to float a few V rapids. Ages are from 17 to 55 and there are about 10 of us. Since we're converging from various points, we're flexible on the location.

I was considering:
1. Rogue River, OR
2. Main Salmon or Middle Fork, ID
3. Lochsa River, OR
4. Deschutes River, OR
5. Cataract Canyon

Another consideration is that we'd prefer to not be with the "herds". Solitude and awesome scenery would be big pluses. And finally, ending the trip at a place where we could spend a few days hiking, biking and swimming would be nice.

Thanks in advance for your good ideas!

ArlingtonM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #2
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
out of those middle fork wins.

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #3
Hey you might also consider Gates of Lodore. Good 4-day family trip with nice camps and some good hikes. I consider it more class III, but there is some action every day and it is a great trip.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #4
fast eddy
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1981
Have done the Middle and Lodore and you cannot go wrong. The Middle is called "trip of a lifetime" for a reason.
fast eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #5
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Middle Fork gets my vote, but it's not a 3-4 day trip. It's usually a 6 day/5 night trip in summer.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #6
Missoula, Montana
SELWAY class IV No herds
screamingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #7
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Family trip

Your choice might also be influenced by when you are looking to take this trip, both water levels and heat can come into play. Cataract is hot, hot, hot for most of the summer and offers little shade. Older adults and heat do not mix well at times. The Middle Fork is a longer trip, but amazing at any level and should have decent water for much of the summer. Gates of Lodore is a good in between trip, great scenery, good camps, and mellower water but still exciting. However, the water won't be around all summer. This site might give you a better idea of some of the trips you mentioned: Rafting the West | The Top Multi-day Whitewater Rafting Trips in the Western USA and a couple others you haven't. Have fun and don't forget to tip your guide
ArgoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #8
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
There's a Lochsa River in Oregan? Good to know.

I agree with the Selway suggestion--one trip launch and all that, plus the rapids are definitely 3,4 and 5, depending on flows. You can't go wrong choosing the Rogue either--that's a great 4-5 day trip.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #9
Kennewick, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
Middle fork is it

Truthfully, I have not done the other trips. But I did the middle fork in late July as a fishing trip with an outfitter. The morning we left Stanley there was frost on the car, the last day of the trip it was about 100 degrees with a stiff wind. Limited access with permits keep your group alone most of the time. Hiking is good. Fishing is ridiculous. Rapids are awesome.

flygolf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #10
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
>There's a Lochsa in Oregon?

Sweet. I need to check it out. I LOVE the one in Idaho.

Cross the Lochsa off your list if you truly want a high-solitude multiday river. You can camp on it, but it's not really known for camping.
It is an incredible, pristine, III-V (mostly IV- to IV+) with incredible features. It is more of a daytrip river with nearby camping opportunities. It gets a lot of commercial traffic, but it's a really fun scene.

If you and your brothers are all rafters, it would be worth the drive out, camp there, and float 5-6 days. Get there before mid-June.

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote