Old 05-17-2012   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
State Bridge to Dotsero - Low Water

Anyone done State Bridge to Dotsero on the Colorado at low water? Thinking about checking out this chill float and camp. Any beta would be great. Thanks a lot.

River Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #2
Winter Park, Colorado
A couple thoughts...

I checked with Down River Equip. about flows. They said one of their guys floated it below the 400 cfs that it is currently running. If you don't have a map of it, they sent me a detailed map which I can email to you. I'll need your email.

My son and I did a short float from pumphouse to radium a week ago at 376 cfs. Surprised that we didn't have to call for a heli to get out of the canyon. It was all pretty smooth. The exception was a rock garden after Needle which we got thru ok.

Nice to have local water after going to Glenwood Springs for a month.

blairbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #3
Can you email me that map?
sglacks @ hotmail

glax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #4
leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I would like that also. Sent you a pm. Thanks gerry
g.soutiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #5
Winter Park, Colorado
Here is the detailed blm map of the upper colorado. Includes campsites from state bridge to dotsero. Down River sent it to me. You can thank them for their assistance in helping us get familiar with that section. I don't work for them. They are all glad to share what they know - good business.

You will be opening a pdf which you can then save to a file.

Here’s the pdf link. Once it downloads you can save it to your file. Very detailed.

blairbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #6
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Is the State Bridge access open yet?
gonetogamehenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #7
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Can't say I have done it at water levels this low but I have done this trip multiple times. As far as camping just past catamont there is a site called mosquito something. Good site with a small waterfall right above the site, fyi I have never encounter mosquitos. The 2nd day is going to be the issue, rodeo is prob going to be a rock garden and pin ball I can only assume is going to be real tight/rocky. About a mile past pinball is a site river left called Jack Flats, I highly recommend staying there (it makes for a short 2nd day but worth it). The train is far enough away you can't hear it. Site is surounded by thousand foot red cliffs. Right after Jack Flats you will encounter twin bridges. Its a small rapid but you go under 2 bridges who's pillars don't line up so make sure you are setup before you enter. From there you shouldn't have any worries, mostly flat water. Also don't expect to see many people, I have done this float multiple times and have only seen 2 boats total.
stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #8
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Rodeo's got a razor sharp rock right in the middle of it at low water. Never run it but scouted at low water in '02 or '03. Someone else may have better data but I'd scout before you commit to running it.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #9
summit, Colorado
Originally Posted by gonetogamehenge
Is the State Bridge access open yet?
Last I heard, State Bridge was aiming to be open for Memorial Day Weekend. Definitely wasn't open last weekend...but they're working on it every day. Anybody know what they're doing just on the downstream side of the bridge? Another ramp? A lot of dirt's been moved around.
basinrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #10
Edwards, Colorado

After the landowner sold the regular State Bridge Landing to Eagle County they decided they would make another ramp down there to compete or something. With no approvals, permits, zoning in place they got shut down and had to put it back as it was. From what I have heard it will just stay the way it is today as the sage brush slowly fills back in.

AQS is offline   Reply With Quote