Old 06-25-2012   #21
Outdoor Recreation
Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
BLM Information

The Upper Colorado River Recreation Area Guide will give you information about dispersed camping locations. This is available at: BLM Colorado | Colorado River Valley Field Office | Recreation | Upper Colorado River

As of Friday, the fire restriction order has become more restrictive, and no fires are allowed (even in the metal fire rings and BBQ grills provided by the BLM). The only type of fire allowed is by a gas stove. No charcoal or wood fires, and no open flames permitted. THe BLM has been posting signs all along that stretch, so you will hopefully be seeing that when you go out.

The BLM strongly recommends bringing a groover/toilet of some kind if you are doing overnight trips. Catholes are not allowed by the river, so you need to pack that with you. Do not bury human waste or toilet paper along the river, as it will get in the river when the rainfall comes.

The BLM typically does State Bridge to Dotsero in three days, as there is some pushing involved and the winds could come up, plus we often make stops for trash pick-up and rock fire ring dispersal. Please use the Recreation Area Guide to help you plan your trip.

Rodeo Rapid looks difficult at this low water...the BLM has not yet run it, but the rocks seemed to have moved from last year's water and it may be a good idea to carry across that rapid at this level.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the BLM - Colorado River Valley Field Office at (970) 876-9000. Thank you and have a good trip!

BLM_CRVFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #22
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
It would be great if the BLM could smooth out Rodeo a bit by moving some rocks around. I don't usually advocate tampering with the riverbed but I heard that dynamite created the current clusterf*ck of sharp rocks that it is now.

FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #23
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
{"One last suggestion: Maybe it would be a good idea to drive upriver from Dotsero to State Bridge to get a look at things, especially Pinball and Rodeo." }

Rafted Catamount to Dotsero a few weekends ago and Rodeo and Pinball were bony and somewhat technical in a 15 ft raft. I thought that Pinball was a little more difficult because the majority of the water flows directly towards the bridge support, and it takes a good set-up and strong pull to just miss it to the left.

If you've done other technical rocky rapids then you should be ok. Camping is well described in the BLM pamphlet that hasbeen posted around here. Have fun!
River Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #24
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Originally Posted by SummitAP View Post
You are the one ignorant enough to ask about open fires, yet you seem to know about the fires. The entire West is touchy about this subject. You are shocked by the response? Aw... poor baby. Ever heard of a little thing called a fire ban?

You think it is a good idea to be arrogant as well as ignorant on this subject? This isn't your thread. You don't own it. You merely started it.

Adjust you attitude. Enjoy your float. And NO FIRES!
Wow really have your head up your a**! Did you not read his quote, "I'm trying to learn the specifics of this stretch of river, not just for a single trip, but for future knowledge as well."

On top of that you may be shocked to learn that there is a state-wide fire ban, so to think that your blathering on the web is going to have more effect than the law is rediculous.

Finally, as a person who was born and raised in this state, wildfires are a reality in this state and the rest of the west. If you wait until the fire is at your door to get "touchy about this subject", I really feel your head is so deep you don't even know you live in the mountains. Get used to it, or move back home. I've been evacuated and have had several friends loose homes to fire in my life. It sucks. It's not fun, but it's part of living in the mountains.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #25
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Too late I saw smoke coming up from Lower Colorado. Seemed to be East of Derby Mesa. You could see it all the way from McCoy (Conga Mesa Rd.) Should be on news tomorrow morning. This is not a spoof.

Crews battling small fire in Eagle County

JUNE, 25 2012
EAGLE COUNTY, Colorado — Wildland fire crews were sent Monday to a fire up the Colorado River Road in northwest Eagle County.

According to David Boyd of the Bureau of Land Management, the fire had burned about 10 acres as of about 5 p.m. The fire was on BLM property about 10 miles up the river road on the northwest side near Poison Creek.

Boyd said about 30 firefighters were dispatched to the fire. That crew included eight smoke jumpers, two fire engines, a single-engine air tanker and a spotter plane. Boyd said the nearest structures are about 1.5 miles away. No evacuation orders had been issued as of late Monday afternoon.

The cause of the fire is still unknown.

Probably a boater!
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #26
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
That blows,itsbeen a bad season already and summer only started 4 days ago.....
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012   #27
V for Victory
9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Originally Posted by caseybailey View Post
On top of that you may be shocked to learn that there is a state-wide fire ban
Hey caseybailey, you must really have your head up your a** because I said, "Ever heard of a little thing called a fire ban?"

It may shock you that fire bans are placed by multiple tiers of government from Federal to State to County. You are right that at this time, it is pretty universal. Nothing I said was more extreme than the current bans, but clearly he was ignorant of them.

How did you get "wait until the fire is at your door to get touchy" from "The entire West is touchy"? You must have ridden the short bus.

I've lived my entire life in the West and longer in the CO mountains than anywhere. The threat of fire is always at your door. It is just that this year is the worst since 2002 (though it could prove worse). Since you do mention doors, I've opened mine to several friends who are under evacuation warning... including at dinner tonight when FD responded to a wildfire 1 mile from the house we were at (thankfully put out quickly before it grew).

SummitAP is offline   Reply With Quote