Old 06-24-2012   #11
Supply Chain Management
Originally Posted by Iraft View Post
When you have a wild fire burning within 20 miles and a few others not much further away, a friend staying with you that has been evacuated from her town, and about 200 homes destroyed. Then you can say something, DUDE!
Hi Iraft,
Thanks for the unsolicited advice, but please get out of my thread if you aren't going to supply info on this particular stretch of water.

I'm trying to learn the specifics of this stretch of river, not just for a single trip, but for future knowledge as well. I don't have a fire pan, and my understanding is that, outside of forest service pits, fires are illegal on this stretch of water all the time if you don't use a fire pan. So, even in the future, I can't have a fire in this area unless there is access to actual forest service campgrounds.

You're not the only one affected by fires in Colorado, so I would respectfully suggest you get off the cross & get out of my thread. Also, do some research on ignition sources of wildfires & you will learn that the vast majority of them are natural (i.e. lightening) & not man made. So perhaps you should go outside & yell at some clouds while you're at it.

Gr8fulabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #12
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Abe, I think I know how to get your number of posts up quickly!

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #13
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I hate it when they call me dude. It just burns me up! Fire? Did someone say FIRE?!
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #14
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Originally Posted by David Miller
I hate it when they call me dude. It just burns me up! Fire? Did someone say FIRE?!
Hey David, I lived in Gyptown for 10 years, until '08, and in the valley for 23 years, I must have met you sometime? Anyway dude, <joking>
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #15
Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
state bridge to dotsero

The BLM office referred to earlier has a good map pdf and i suggest printing a copy. Also there is a good mileage chart. The state bridge to catamount bridge section only has a few blm sites and they are not marked. Some of the best are a mile and a half below State Bridge river left, and there's another closer to Bond river left (sorry can't think of the name). Otherwise there's only a couple of more way further on, but not that great of sites, river left. lots of privat land on this section. No public exits until you get to Catamount.
A couple of nice campsites at Cat bridge. The ramp is below the bridge on the left and the nicest camp is just to the right as you walk up the ramp. Other campsites up the hill, w/shade and pit toilets.
Rodeo rapid below the hamlet of Burns is significant, especially at this low water level. I've run it at 5,000 far river left. In my eval it has lots of potential to snag and wrap, regardless of the raft size. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this.
There is a take out at Burns (right) but it is private land and not sure who to talk to. Maybe call the BLM office for that section in Silt, 970-876-9000.
Lots of folks launch below Derby Junction at a non-descript drive down and out off of the road site.
a couple of miles below this, there is another major rapid, Pinball, runnable but a rock dodge with a giant cement railroad pilon at the bend near the bottom of the rapid. Pull Left of this and have a good angle to current, but don't dip the oars too deep as it's shallow.
Below Pinball a mile or so is the Bull Gulch campsite, river left. Nice and away from the road a bit. Otherwise, there's another site river left about 3/4 mile, at the bottom of a small rock ledge. Nice sand, but be looking as you can float by it.
Below this there is more private land for several miles and no campsites until the Lyons Gulch BLM site, about 4 miles above Dotsero. The Dotsero take out is river left.
Shuttles: Rancho Del Rio, 970-653-4431. Check their website.
The section you are interested in is a beautiful area.
One last suggestion: Maybe it would be a good idea to drive upriver from Dotsero to State Bridge to get a look at things, especially Pinball and Rodeo.
DrBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #16
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
If you haven't done it before, it's important to realize the impact that TRAINS (yelling!) have on this trip- They Suck. They truly do. Bring ear plugs- or wear a Ipod all night.
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #17
overcrowdedskitown, Colorado
I wasn't trying to come across as an ass, its just so bad out there. I didn't mean to jack your thread, but you did ask about fires so I got a little excited. I am very aware that I'm not the only one dealing with fires and there are lot more people out in way worse shape then me. My thoughts go out to them.
Have a great float.
Iraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #18
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Dont do it, it sucks, very boring and nothing nice to look at
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012   #19
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
The Bond campsite is Very Noisy thanks to the railroad, not just trains going by but trains and crews working all night. Nice camp at Cottonwood bend. It's going to be slow. There is a sneak far right against the road on Rodeo, but I've never done it this low. I can't imagine you can get through on the left at this flow and running down the middle is likely a ripper flipper, I'm guessing. Jack Flats is a great camp, but there isn't much below it if it is taken, some good unimproved sites in the half mile above it.

State Bridge to Dotsero is a full day at fishing speed (back rowing, stopping to land fish/tie knots). Dotsero to Jack the same, Jack to Cottonwood the same, Cottonwood to Dotsero maybe 4-6 hours. I'd agree that Pinball could be interesting at this flow, another rocky rapid after a lake at the end of the blm land between twin bridges and Cottonwood. I'd want more water than 860 at Kremmling 1300 at Dotsero. I've never been below State Bridge at less than 1220 at Kremmling. Your mileage will vary.

Starting at the Pinball unimproved put in makes a lot of sense at this flow.
Spade Hackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012   #20
V for Victory
9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Originally Posted by Gr8fulabe View Post
Hi Iraft,
Thanks for the unsolicited advice

get out of my thread.
You are the one ignorant enough to ask about open fires, yet you seem to know about the fires. The entire West is touchy about this subject. You are shocked by the response? Aw... poor baby. Ever heard of a little thing called a fire ban?

You think it is a good idea to be arrogant as well as ignorant on this subject? This isn't your thread. You don't own it. You merely started it.

Adjust you attitude. Enjoy your float. And NO FIRES!

SummitAP is offline   Reply With Quote