Mountain Buzz banner

Smith River Montana Early August

Tags
august
7K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  zebramidge 
#1 ·
I was able to pick up a cancelled float date for the first week of August. Any input about whether it is even worth considering with 14 foot raft? I would hate to drag that thing 59 miles. :)

#5 ·
I've done low water Smith trips and will be putting on this year on Aug. 2nd. Last year I put on Aug 25th at Baker. (158 cfs at Eagle Cr.) It was a solo, back pack style trip with my 9 foot cat. That means no beer. I brought vodka and Crystal lite drink mix flavoring and my water pump. Otherwise it was one of the most memorable trips in 30 + years of floating. I only had to drag one time and that was a simple stand up in the frame and pull approx 15 feet over a new shallow gravel bar. That was at the bottom end where the old split channel used to be. Now I did scrape and slide over LOTS of rocks during this trip, especially above Tenderfoot, so this is not for cheap boats. A friend went solo in a 10' raft the next week and had the same experience. The fishing was ...well... unbelievable. A few days later I was able to fly the river and saw two 12'-13' rafts with two people each that looked like they were doing just fine.
If you really want to do this river, at that time, it can be done. You just need to have a boat that is light and very maneuverable. And if your down there on Aug 2nd I'll see ya...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.