Old 04-07-2012   #1
Lolo, Montana
Smith River Montana Early August

I was able to pick up a cancelled float date for the first week of August. Any input about whether it is even worth considering with 14 foot raft? I would hate to drag that thing 59 miles.

MIZOOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #2
Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
Hard to say, but I would think there would likely be a lot of draggin' if floatable at all. I'd have an alternate plan.

If you lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known. Winnie the Pooh
mtriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #3
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Def seams late
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #4
Hamilton, Montana
Paddling Since: 1975
Look at the web site statistics for water levels and boats at those levels. I think you are lucky to get a canoe down it that time of year but is a beautiful float. Water will likely be way down this year.

Good luck!
randyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #5
GF, Montana
Paddling Since: 1983
I've done low water Smith trips and will be putting on this year on Aug. 2nd. Last year I put on Aug 25th at Baker. (158 cfs at Eagle Cr.) It was a solo, back pack style trip with my 9 foot cat. That means no beer. I brought vodka and Crystal lite drink mix flavoring and my water pump. Otherwise it was one of the most memorable trips in 30 + years of floating. I only had to drag one time and that was a simple stand up in the frame and pull approx 15 feet over a new shallow gravel bar. That was at the bottom end where the old split channel used to be. Now I did scrape and slide over LOTS of rocks during this trip, especially above Tenderfoot, so this is not for cheap boats. A friend went solo in a 10' raft the next week and had the same experience. The fishing was ...well... unbelievable. A few days later I was able to fly the river and saw two 12'-13' rafts with two people each that looked like they were doing just fine.
If you really want to do this river, at that time, it can be done. You just need to have a boat that is light and very maneuverable. And if your down there on Aug 2nd I'll see ya...
AirEms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012   #6
Billings, Montana
jwithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #7
Silver City, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
Hey AirEms. Relieved to see your post. We have 7/19 launch date and were getting worried about water levels. How much gear and human weight did you throw on your cat last year? Floated last year early Aug. at about 200 cfs. Wondering about running at appx. 150 cfs in a loaded Watermaster Kodiak. See specs:
WM Models and Specs

zebramidge is offline   Reply With Quote