Old 02-26-2013   #21
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Well both of you contribute a lot to the knowledge and fun of the buzz. Sometimes the best stories do need to be drawn out a bit. Either one of you, a lurker having nothing to say but bs is just, well, bs. Get a life? Whatever, lots of river knowledge, sharing it with newbs is not bad. We all have our reasons for spending time in the Buzz. Nothing wrong with that.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #22
p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
river shuttles

I've always used river rat express in stanley idaho, who ever you use it will not be cheap with that in mind you may want to do some of the shuttle yourself. First you could drive your cars to spring bar and then return in one car and have it shuttled to vinegar crk, then while d-rigging sent it down to springbar with extra drivers to pick up the other cars and return up to vinegar crk or second drop some of your cars in stanley and return to corn crk in one car, this way you pay for one car going from corn crk to vinegar crk and the cars in stanley get shuttled to either vingar or springbar saving money by not having the shuttle company driving all the cars from corn crk to vingar crk or third team up with other boaters who have a permit for the main, i have a permit on aug. 4th and am looking for others work something out, good luck

rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013   #23
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 80's
I'd love to do the jetboat return trip. I'll call Arctic Creek and see what they think about the chance of that happening in late August. PS......PFD's in the rocket box....been there - done that! Have also left major components of meals sitting in freezer at home. We all have our flubs.....and will probably have many more.
coloriverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #24
Tenacious B
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Jetback definitely won't be an option in late August. +1 on River Shuttles. I've even forgotten to pay them and they still shuttled our rig. I'm not sure where you are coming from but a Caldwell Transportation shuttle maybe be worth looking into. I organized our 19 person family trip on the Main last August and it was a near wash with shuttling our 3 SUV trailer combos. They pick your crew up and all your gear, drive you to Corn then pick you up at Vinegar. Seemed pretty slick.
My most recent river diarrhea of the brain was last month on an Illinois trip in OR when I forgot my door code. I walked away for a few minutes then came back and remembered. 5 minute heart attack.... and my buddies were never the wiser. Ha!
Ben Bade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #25
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Originally Posted by rti50 View Post
we had a woman who has a shuttle co. she was a God send. she called us two weeks before our launch and told us the Salmon was to dangerous. The water level went down and was perfect. We flipped and keys were in flipped raft. when we got to vinegar the key was in gas tank(I could of kissed her)we paid $900.00 and that included 100.00 per vechicle for gas and tip for two vehicle. I sent her a key that just unlocked truck door. I'll post her name later when I find her name.
The rules one can have with both you and your spouse having a set in addition to the shuttle driver and leaving a window open when rigging up are good.

But I would recommend setting up some sort of unique spot on the vehicle, more unique than in the gas cap area, a spot hard to get to but where the key cannot come free on rough roads etc. (I don't trust the magnetic holders. Best if held by a short wire.)

It can be really hard to get to but be a lifesaver.

One extra key somewhere not visible even if under the rig looking up.
Always there.

No need to discuss where that might be.

I noticed on fires that Park Service employees often have 'break in' kits and are OK with them. While they may not be fast they open a lot of visitors car doors and can be very helpful. The standard tip is telling them thanks.

BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote