Old 09-06-2011   #1
buena vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Shoshone River beta please

looking to make a trip to the shoshone river in cody wy pretty soon, the bible says flows stay good cause of release, and it looks like a good whitewater holiday, a few stretches, good playboating and maybe bring the creek boat for the res. outflow.
Are there locals boating during the week to share shuttle? where is some good camping? i hear hotsprings are close?
Is there anything else running in the area to check out??
Any beta would be greatly appriciated

fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #2
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
is this still running? overnight possibilities

Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #3
B.F.E., Wyoming
Its a badass river for sure! Lots of III-IV around town plus there's the Clarks Fork with some bigger IV-V+ options.

Throw a post up on The Cody Forum and see if any body will run anything with you. Ed and Andy are both super reliable guys that are on the water several times a week.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #4
I just walked in the door from boating on the mighty shoe-shine and here is this post.

The main Shoshone below Buffalo Bill Reservoir is of course dam controlled. It has reliable flows well into September, usually until all crop harvests are done in early October. Right now we are experiencing above average flows of around 1,400 cfs. We should see good flows though the month.

right around town, we have a couple sections of class II water. direct;y above the class II is the classic class IV section outlined in the bible, (WWSR). it is still a little juicy up there now but really fun and can be done in either a play boat or river runner. Above this is a short class III section accessed through the infamous "culvert" also above this section and extending to just below the dam is a great class IV "creek" section, which has lower flows than the main runs below as most of the water is piped underground to feed turbines down stream.

Don't count on sitting in hot springs. They are right along the canyon run, but are privately owned. You can actually paddle into some upstream and warm your hands but in recent years the springs have gotten cooler, about 99 degrees.

Most boaters work during the day, but there are a few around, (myself included) who are sometimes available mid-day. As Luke mentioned, Ed Conning boats a lot. Also, they best way to communicate is the local message board as Luke mentioned.
You can contact me at Gradient Sports, my name is Andy.

see you up here,
shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011   #5
Oh yeah, other questions, there is pretty good, free camping on Cedar Mountain, just outside of town. There is no water so bring some jugs. Other options include farther up the Northfork on the Nat'l forest. The forks of the the Shoshone, (North and South) both offer quality whitewater in the spring but nothing right now. Parts of the Clark'sfork are still runnable, I did the lower last weekend and Honeymoon can still be fun. No multi-day available this time of year, Bear trap canyon on the Madison is probably the closest.
Old 09-07-2011   #6
buena vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
shortbus and freexbiker you da mans! thanks for the beta. sounds like there are several put in and take out options for the stuff below the dam? what is up with this infamous culvert?? i take it that it must be portaged if you are running the creekier section just below the damn? What is a common day run? anyone usually run from the damn through the lower in a day or is it best to use different putins and take outs?
i will definately throw a post up on the cody forum when i can get the exact dates figured out, trying to bring a small crew in one car; so sharing or biking shuttle will be key. iam stoked to hear the flows are still good; planning on bringing both boats to get the best of both worlds, hows the play on the lower at 1400? oh- is Little Rock Creek worth checking out? it looks like most of the rest of clarksfork is too low
fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #7
The culvert is a shortcut to park on the highway and access the upper runs. There are a few pictures of it in the bible. You WALK down it, not boat through it as some have mistakenly thought in the past. It takes you down to the old highway to from the new highway.

As for linking all thr runs together, you sure can and we regularly start on the upper, low volume stuff and run down through the class IV stuff. Demaris springs is the takeout for this and the put-in for the class II canyon below. This is the start of the commercial rafting trips as well. you could continue down another 13 miles of class II if you wanted to.

The upper can be run in a playboat and we normally do, but its also a blast in big boats.

As for Littlerock creek- I was just up there on Sunday for a look, with boats on the roof. we decided that there needs to be more water, but if there were more water you couldn't catch eddies to get around wood, so not really worth it.-- Go playboat lower Clark'sfork, much better and we even got a ride from some fishermen to the top.

See you up here,