Old 05-06-2013   #1
BV, Colorado
Selway River Beta

I'll be launching on the Selway June 6th.
Looking for suggested campsites, side hikes, cool features, etc..
Any input is appreciated...

peakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #2
Missoula, Montana
Big water for sure. I would try to camp at Tony Point and layover to scout the moose juice section if unfamiliar with it. If the river is over 4' at paradise prepare for a wild ride, drysuit or wetsuit highly recommended. Stop at moose bridge on the right and run down to make sure tonyp isn't taken. If you miss that camp you will have to run the juice at that flow, as you most likely won't be able to stop at Divide camp and from that side of the river you can't scout downstream. The biggest rapids will be HAM, Double Drop, Ladle, Puzzle and No Slouch. Make sure you look at No Slouch it is a river wide giant f*ing hole bigger than the holes in Ladle at high flows. Run far left shore or risk swimming. Double drop gives the most people problems. Last year at 3.5 we flipped one boat in DD and had a kayaker swim and loose his boat only to be recovered 15 miles downstream. As far as hiking there are trails everywhere, right side of the river. The water slows down past Jim's creek and you can relax and find a nice beach camp.

screamingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #3
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I was lucky enough to get on a Selway trip last year. The whole place is a cool feature as far as I'm concerned. I didn't really participate in camp selection, but I was more than pleased with our camps. Ours were: Day 1: Little Goat Creek, Day 2&3: Tony Point Bridge (river right above the bridge) and Day 4: Lower Pinchot (above Wolf Creek). I guess if you have one of those fancy little color river guide books these will be easy to figure out.

At the Tony Point Bridge there's a ~4 mile one-way hike that takes you to the top of one of the peaks. I never recorded the name of the peak/trail - anyone??? It's a well established trail with, like, signs and shit, that starts on river right near the bridge, goes past the airstrip and up, up. There's an old tower at the top of the peak. That hike is well worth it and grants you an inverse vantage point of the magical wilderness.

Watch out for rattlesnakes.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #4
BV, Colorado
All good info. Thanks for sharing.
I have heard rumor of a nice hot spring that is a 3 mile hike??
peakone is offline   Reply With Quote