Old 03-22-2010   #1
Mapleton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Selway mid May ?s

So it's not my permit, just wanted to get some perspective here. I've run it twice both at low water, 1.4 and 1.9 at Paradise. So gimme the heads up for May. I know it'll be big and hella cold. We're self supporting, no rafts. In my head ladle has got to be a monster above 4-5 feet. Sounds like it's one continuous rapid from Moose down. I imagine theres no reason to pack my four piece flyrod? I think we're planning 5 days on water so there will be know need to rush anything. Anyone have links to the snotel data for the selway? I'm guessing the snow pack is shitty like the rest of Idaho which will at least make getting to paradise easier(I hope) Just looking for some words of wisdom from those who have paddled it high(water, not paddler) Again, not my permit but I want to be educated as I can for my own sake and incase my advice is solicited. Many Thanks

Newty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010   #2
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
You're on your own cuz i hate you for gettin in on a trip and not me! Not really. Just show up a couple days early and run the lochsa. Sheep creek down to split creek. If youre good on the lochsa you'll be good on the selway. And there is a sweet trail on river right salway to bypass the below moose creek section. easy portage with kayaks. Your right that the snow melt is "not good" but still around 50% which was common just a few years ago. But mid May,,, youre golden.. And as far a weather. It could dip into the 30's at night and as high as the upper 80's in the day time. remember to share gear (like sleep in one tent) and don't over pack.. If you show up a day or two early you'll get an idea of the weather and flows on the lochsa before you float the selway.. ps: who is gona carry the turd bucket? ha ha..

dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #3
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Here is the state Snotel map:

NRCS National Water and Climate Center - SNOTEL Map Based Network - Idaho

These sensors might help. Call Linda over in Darby too to get a little local info:

Moose Creek (63 - Site Information and Reports

Mountain Meadows (650) - Site Information and Reports

The four times I have done it I didn't even need to set up my tent. Cold water though. but temps up to 80 every day. Kayaked it once at six feet and it was pushy. I walked Ladle but that was partly because a log jam blocked the right run and you had to go middle. Everything else was ok. I am not a class 4 boater really, but I had good guys with me to follow. Surfing was actually pretty epic at that flow. Pushy laterals in places and definitely some very sloppy irregular stuff.

It's a gem. Have a blast.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #4
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
we did it 3yrs ago may 20th at 4 1/2ft with 3 rafts, 1ik, and 3 hardshells, it snowed/rained the 1st 2 days then was nice. upper section was more difficult than we anticipated, ham was fun, moose section was big, with double drop having the biggest waves and probably the biggest pucker factor and ladle being crux for the entrance.go left on little niagra but watch the hydraulics after, craziest ive ever seen, wolf creek also was fun but be careful for the hole on the right, we also did it in 5 days with our 3rd day being a layover, but anticipate to run moose in the morning and for gods sake dont go past the last camp before the juice, or youre screwed. have fun!
dprinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #5
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 95
RE Paradise gauge- does anyone know if the Paradise Gauge is posted online, or is it strictly visual? I can only seem to find the flow at the Lowell gauge...
wildnscenic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #6
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by wildnscenic! View Post
RE Paradise gauge- does anyone know if the Paradise Gauge is posted online, or is it strictly visual? I can only seem to find the flow at the Lowell gauge...
Not online. You can call the ranger in Darby and they know sometimes. Anytime anyone is going near they ask them to take a reading. During the season I think they have a ranger there or at ?Fish? Creek who comes down every day to look at rafters and read the gauge.

To the OP:
Ladle is too spread out to be monster at the flows I have seen. Wolf Cr and DD are at tighter spots on the river and flux more with flows. I have never gone anywhere but right on Niagara.

And I am pretty sure the river will be closed to fishing when you are on it. Not open until Memorial Day weekend - I think anyway. Too lazy to google.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #7
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
There is a file at the Idahowhitewater yahoo group, selway lowell paradise conversion or something like that. I think you have to be a member, but you can download a spreadsheet which "estimates" the paradise level based on the Lowell gauge.

I'm going my first time in earlyish May. Everyone is saying it won't be huge. But if it starts raining, and rains a lot, the drainage is huge and it can come up fast and a lot. So I've been told, I know the Lochsa does that to some degree, but I think the Selway is even more extreme. I hope it's big!

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote