Old 06-21-2009   #41
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Will be putting in next Sunday for a 7 day w/5 others. Any other buzzards going to be around? It would be nice to put a face to the avatar. I'll be in a red 14' nrs.

oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009   #42
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by markdl View Post
Try Deso in mid-May. No bugs out, yet. (Well, a few at Sand Wash, but none thereafter.)

Here's what the view looks like from the top of the Honaker trail (and yes, I agree - the view from Horn Point was awesome!) Parts of the hike from the point up to the top were pretty brutal.... (but I'm also not in the best shape I've ever been in either).

Okay Mark, you out hiked me and you out piced me. Nice Job.

sibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009   #43
Mt Hood, Oregon
San Juan Camps

Just a general thank you to all you San Juan users. We got off The Mex Hat to Clay hills section on June 21st over 6 days. Took 3 newbies with us. Each trip, we are amazed at how the campsites were as if no one else had been there, bringing the wonder of the canyon and river to us all. Even though you know others have passed before you, probably the same day, the sites are clean and not trashed.

We make sure our micro trash and impacts are negated and thanks to everyone else who does the same. Maybe helped that it had a big flush the previous few weeks but thanks just the same.

The magic of the river is left to everyone. Its such a great float with kids and newcomers. One of our favorite floats. Even drove 1300 miles this time from Oregon to get there after we got the permit!!!!!! Everyone else from Colorado and New Mexico.

Finished with the Colorado, Hittle to Take out and Green below the dam. Three river vaca, old stomping grounds.
eastcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #44
Palisade, Colorado
650 and dropping?

Am i F'ed for my Saturday launch?
anybody been down that low?
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009   #45
SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The release at Navajo just got bumped up a bit today - more water for the chubs.
kb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009   #46
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Releases from Navajo have increased from 500 cfs to 800 cfs beginning yesterday. The goal is to keep flows within the target base flow range of 500 to 1000 cfs in the critical habitat, which is from Farmington to Lake Powell. The flows of the Animas and the amount of irrigation diversions in New Mexico play the biggest role in determining how much needs to be released from Navajo to met the target base flows. As the Animas continues to fall, releases may be increased a bit more. Stay tuned.

As far as I know, there are no Chubs being are recovered in that section. Pike Minnow and Razorback Suckers are endangered species down there.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009   #47
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Back from the SJ. Took out on 7/4 @ clay hills. 7 day 6 nite trip w/ 6 people. Level at Sand Island on 6/28 was approx 3500! due to the rains upstream. Not sure what the level was at the take out, but estimate 1000 or below?

Nice trip, first time user and will definitly do it again.

Couple of interesting things (for me anyway):
1- the river seemed consistently shallower than I had expected.
2- encountered a water spout! Paddling along minding my own business, when the wind picked up so I dropped the umbrella and then noticed a big gust blowing sand off the shore, closed my eyes and was promptly drenched by spray. I thought it was just spray from the gust, but my friends all in their own boats saw me get hit by a mini-tornado/whirlwind (or whatever) that kicked up a waterspout which went right over the raft! Pretty cool, however it happened so fast they were not able to get a pic (damm I would have liked to have seen that).

3- how fast a canoe can flip in Govt. (courtesy of my pal). Reminded me why I don't canoe anymore.

4- How nice it was to stop in Mex Hat to re-beer and re-ice, make a phone call, have lunch and let the ladies shop (most week-long SW trips don't have that kinda port-o-call)

Finally, as someone else noted, the campsites were clean with the exception of Below 8ft, which looked like it had been abused by a group of kids (which I think it had been).

Thanks to all the Buzzards for posting info over the years making the "learning about the river" curve a little shorter.

See Ya Bye!
Off for a paddle fest on the SFA in Coloma - clean cold h2o

oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote