Old 06-06-2009   #1
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
San Juan, Shiprock

I have rafted most sections of the San Juan upper and lower, however not any sections between Turley, NM and Bluff, UT. My curiosity is getting the best of me, anyone know of put ins, take outs, time frames, river quality, etc? I'd like to raft every possible section of this river just for grins I suppose, thanks.

coloradoclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #2
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
San Juan - 4 Corners to Bluff

I floated (13' raft) from 4-Corners to Bluff last May. We putin a couple hundred yards downstream from the bridge adjacent to the 4-Corners Monument. There is a dirt road on river left that you can follow. Took out at Sand Is., near Bluff. Appx. 45 miles, Class rapids, just clumps of shit to dodge. It was flowing around 3,000 cfs. There was an old hanging bridge just before Aneth that you had to pass under on river left as most of it was touching the big deal, though.

Camping was nice and quiet. Keep an eye for Moki footsteps cut into the sandstone cliffs on river left about 15 miles or so into the trip. We found other remnants of the ancient ones and old honkies, too.

An outfitter out of Bluff ran a shuttle for starts with an R., but I forget the name at the moment.

Nice float. I would definately do it again.

Kep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016   #3
Chinle, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1
I see this is an older post, anyone do this section more recently? I'm interested to know what's available between Shiprock and Sand Island and if I might get lucky enough not to require a permit at any section along there. I live south of Shiprock about 2 hours so I'm looking for stuff that would be doable for a weekend day trip. Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help me out!
dylansinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016   #4
x, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
I kayaked from Shiprock to Bluff many years ago, in two very long days.

There's one rock diversion structure that was runnable, but worth a scout. Otherwise, main hazards are the Russian Olives. No permits needed.
Nugs is online now   Reply With Quote