Old 08-15-2011   #1
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
San Juan River Projected Flows

Is there information available about releases and projected flows for the San Juan River from Bluff to ClayHills---I'm particularly interested in flows around Sept 22

Colorado Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #2
Kayenta, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2006
Who Knows...

Just got off the upper this weekend, it was low, but certainly do-able...for the full trip, 600 is low, but also do-able...the last 11 miles are just a drag.

September is a difficult time of year to predict and guage. If you were to look back to the last 100 years or so, you would see that often September has some of the most violent spikes of any month. As recent as 2003 or possibly 2001 the river shot way up into the teens during September.

There is a gentleman on here who is in charge of the flow one way or the other, or certainly has the inside scoop...I will let him field this question, as I am sure he will as soon as he sees the post. He always offers insight.

My suggestion would be to go regardless of the flow. I have been down in the lower canyon as low as 350 in duckies for a 4 day lower trip...we had to work hard to cover 20+ miles nearly everyday, but it is always worth it. September is an awesome time to be down there.

bucket52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011   #3
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I just got off a full trip from Bluff to Clay Hills. We had 5 rafts between 14 and 16n feet. At Bluff the river was ~1100, and came steadily down through the whole trip. We took off at somewhere between 400 and 500. The last couple of days were really bony, and we lined Government. The pull out across the lake was doable but a slog. It took 6 hours from Grand Gulch. The best part of the river below Mexican Hat was not seeing any other groups until the last day. The river felt like our very own.
noschoollikeoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
As noschoolikeoldschool just mentioned, the best part will probably be not seeing another group aside from your own for 4 days. Such a unique experience in America today to be alone for days.
Fluvial Geomorphology Blog
Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote