Old 05-02-2013   #1
Eagle, Colorado
San Juan Launch Question

Hey all,

So I have a San Juan permit for the 14th of May from Mexican Hat and one boat in the group can't launch until the 15th. Is it possible for that boat to launch a day late and catch the group? I'm thinking more from the BLM permit side of things rather than them being able to make up the ground to catch us. Anyone ever done this or presented the question to the rangers? I plan on contacting the river office in the morning but wanted to throw it out there and see if this has been done, thanks!!

jvwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I don't think it will fly. The permitted launch date is the date the entire group is required to launch...... although they will let you swap people at Mexican Hat when doing the whole trip....

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013   #3
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Mexican Hat Launch

BLM will say no. On a sepearte note, I have never seen a ranger or been checked at the Mexcian Hat Launch. Been down three times and launched last memorial day weekend. Drove two hours back home just to get my liscense on that one. Just saying, but am not advocating anything illegal or such.
ArgoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #4
p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
I launched on Monday the 22nd and there was a ranger there to check my permit and gear I would not want to take a chance. Try to get a another permit for the other boater as a back up plan for the next day. I haven't checked the availability on the calendar in a few days. Why not just wait one day and everybody can go on the same permit, this way your all legit.
rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #5
p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
P.S. just checked and there is a May 15th opening at the hat... FYI
rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #6
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
I was checked the last two times I put in at Mexi Hat. 2012 & 2012
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013   #7
Eagle, Colorado
Thanks all, was able to secure an additional launch for the late boat on the 15th

jvwoods is offline   Reply With Quote