Old 08-19-2012   #11
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
OK's your answer, no sarcasm. Although the above posts made me chuckle and put a smile on my face. Good stuff buzzards!
This applies to pretty much every river run in central or southern Utah.....anytime after about 2:00pm give or take. Actually, now that I think about it, this holds true for just about every river I've run in the western US. Wadeinthewater's response might be the most accurate overall.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #12
C. Springs, Colorado
We were out there last week and had downstream winds on Monday and Tuesday starting around 2PM. Upstream wind in Monday started around 3:30. Cataraftgirl is spot on with her predictions. Get on the river as early as possible if you want to avoid them. Pull off early and hike. is beautiful there this time of year.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012   #13
Jenks, Oklahoma
Every western river run I have been on has had upstream winds at some point in the afternoon.

I do not think there is a good answer as to exact times wind will start on any run.

My take is as soon as the sun warms up the area enough, upstream winds start. So the answer depends on the sun and clouds etc more than anything else

Which means the earlier you start to float the better chance for missing more of the upstream winds.

That ruby horse thief stretch especially if you launch from the state park is known for it's afternoon upstream wind before you get to the most popular camp spots.

The only time my group has missed the vicious upstream wind there, is when we camped at the State Park, rigged the boats with every thing but sleeping bags and pads, got up before day light, got a quick breakfast at the nearby McDonalds and were rowing just as the sun started to come up. That day the lunch crew made sandwiches in their raft and passed them out to the rest of the group so we did not waste time on shore. We were in camp, setting under a shade cotton wood tree enjoying early cocktails with a great afternoon cooling breeze!

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote