Old 04-25-2013   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Royal Gorge This Weekend? 4-27/28

A friend and I would like to paddle a ducky down the Royal Gorge this weekend. My scouting skills aren't great, so I'd like to go with someone who knows the run. Is this doable at low water or will we be carrying the boat over the rocks?

teepegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #2
salida, Colorado
Def. doable and at this flow prolly has a creekin feel to it so I wouldn't want to be out of my boat. Watch out for all the rebar/junk on river left. Paddle out will blow not sure if the pink house takeout is available

psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #3
Acupuncturist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

I dont think u should do the gorge at this level in a duckie. the rebar is going to get u - try parkdale instead and that is scoutable. a couple of the drops are like waterfalls with no water at this level and it will be very exciting with 2 people in the boat.
dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #4
pagosa, Colorado
Word is that pink house is available for private takeouts... parking may be an issue though (park one vehicle at pink house, others at centennial park), check with AHRA. On the whole though, the run is channelized and straightforward at these flows, but a guide might not be bad to give you a heads up on some of the less than obvious hazards. W/ the weather forecast, you'll probably see other boaters out on the water. If you can't find a guide, watch out for some tricky moves in Sunshine (after the caretaker's cabin) and be advised there's not many good/clean options at the end of the narrows (near the bridge circus). Aim for the water and stay in your boat. Have fun, be safe.

- two IK's or one tandem? Tandem could be exciting.
pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #5
Boulder, Colorado
This is starting to sound like a bad idea; we've got a tandem, and we're both jonesing to paddle this season. Maybe best to wait for some milder runs to get water.

Sounds like a climbing weekend to me.
Old 04-26-2013   #6
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I ran it a few weeks ago at 220 (Wellsville gauge) and it was a blast. Nothing was too shallow not to go and the paddle out was not the worst. Pink House is good to go. We even had a ducky and 2 rafts with us and they had no trouble. That being said, I might not want to get in there much lower than that and I suspect 20 or 30 cfs would make a noticeable difference.
Please take a look at my Photo Web Gallery.
I also have here some gear reviews (that I might update soon).
rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #7
salida, Colorado
If you don't mind driving a little further west you could climb at falls gulch and put in from there and float down to canyon trading post? Or take out along the road
psu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #8
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I am down to run the gorge this weekend. I have good scouting skills but have not run that section before. Or anything in but Browns in CO for that matter. I moved down from ID. Anyway I am up for the gorge or Bighorn sheep canyon. If this falls thru I will be running the river above RG if i have to hitch hike back to the put in. PS I will be in a ducky.
"A true patriot must always be prepared to defind his country against its government." Edward Abbey
treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #9
Boulder, Colorado
I'm gonna bail on any paddling this weekend. I really appreciate all the beta, though.

Treehugger - if it gets any water this year, Waterton Canyon is really fun in a ducky at 650 cfs. I'm not sure how the drive from CO Springs is, though.