Old 04-05-2011   #1
Ashland and Lake Almanor, state of jefferson
Paddling Since: 1997
rogue trip report 4/5/11

hello all, i just got home from a 5 day middle/lower rogue float.
12,500cfm almeda park launch, made it down too wildcat in 3 beers. fun fast water, mule creek canyon was really fast. we blasted out of the canyon to find slow water for the springers. fishing is picking up down low. we stayed 3 nights on the lower fishin, and campin. weather was killer,
first sunburn of the year, ya.
we didn't see another person or boat till foster bar.
the big storm we had a month ago blew down a lot of trees,
there's a 60' tree floatin around clay hill lodge. and blowdowns all over the river.
the rapids where washed out, just big wave trains.
good trip, no people, prime pick of camp spots,going again next week.

kaya dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Damn that sounds nice. It's reports like these that keep me going.

Fluvial Geomorphology Blog
Bayou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #3
Tenacious B
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Sounds like a good trip. We headed over that way weekend of 3-26. Hoping to run the Illinois but it surged past our cutoff. So we put on at graves and took off at Foster. I think it hit right about 16k while we were on. Glad to hear you had nice weather, it rained pretty much every minute of our trip.
It was kind of weird going right over the top of rainey falls and the picket fence at blossom. We also saw not a soul on the entire river.
We hiked up Tate creek to the 'slide' but it was just a raging torrent. Do you know at what flow that slide is a little more tame?
Ben Bade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #4
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Rogue next week

I was happy to see your report. I have a trip on the Rouge from Alameda bar to Foster bar planned next week, current river level around 10000cfs. I am new to IKing, but have a 2 friends going with a lot of experience. I have spent 5 days in an IK (Owhyee last spring and the Wilson this past weekend, both class III rivers). I am gaining experience and am not afraid of taking a few swims as long as the consequences of said swim are not too severe. I am concerned that the Rogue may be a bit too much for me at the current flows. First off, do you guys think that I would be in over my head on the Rogue? Second, can you give some more detailed info on the rapids at current levels? I am interested in info on Graves Creek Falls, Rainy Falls Ladder, Tyree, Mule Creek Canyon, Blossom Bar, and any other rapid that you think would give me trouble. ANY and all advice is welcome and very much appreciated. Thanks for reading,

El Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #5
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Matt you can take the fish ladder and avoid Rainey. Your only concern on the rest of the river is (probably) blossom bar. I think you said IK most of the issue is with pinning rocks or falling out of your craft and getting lodged against a rock. I'm sure with scouting you can find safe sneaks around these hazards

The earliest I've ever done was memorial day not sure what the flow was but I ran Rainey on a 16' sotar cat and it was a rush but really easy compared to other things I've experienced
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #6
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
The picket fence will be well covered at 10,000. It's pretty well covered at 6,000. Mule creek can be hectic and if your concerned it's easy but a bit time consuming to scout from the trail on RR. Whens it's big (>10K) you can cover a lot of ground in a hurry and sometimes the eddies have eddies but the everything still ends in a pool , so if you flip hold onto your gear as best you can and try to ride it out to the bottom. 'Upper Black Bar' might be worth a scout to see where the green tounge is in the middle line.
Have fun! and don't forget to hike up to the water slide on Tate Ck.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #7
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I read your post a little closer so I' ll add some more...stay in the current and off the eddy lines until you reach the bottom of things. Blossom will be kicking, so scout from the right to pick your line. Devils Staircase (just below Blossom) most likely will have a big wave at the top and at that flow goes on for sometime, you can usually cheat past the entry wave far left if your so inclined, then just bomb down the middle after that. The best advice for Mule at any flow is...paddle like hell. Lots of 'you-tube' videos at high flows to check out too.
once again, have fun
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #8
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
We ran from Graves Ck to Foster about ten days ago. Very we and rained the whole time. At this flow Rainey was totally washed out. We ran the main chute or falls if you could call it that. No big deal. Really no problem areas anywhere. I would scout Blossom though. Thomas
Katboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #9
Ashland and Lake Almanor, state of jefferson
Paddling Since: 1997
hello, Ben I also walked up to tate creek, wow... it's a water fall.
good news the dam log jam that was there all summer is now washed out. making the water slide safe again. I don't know about the flows of tate, but i'd guess it'll drop fast after snowmelt.
El matador, are you guys taking a raft ?? I wouldn't want to swim mule creek, water was pumping super fast and really pushy on the walls. like pretender said, Paddle like hell.... the rest was just big wave trains, blossom bar was gone, but there was a hole we hit and dam it was big, made my 16' cat humble. i think it was volkswagon rock ??? rainy falls was no big deal, the fish ladder looked crazy... if you could even get into it.. the main falls seemed way safer.
el matador what day are you lanching ?? i'm also going again next week if water drops.
high water camps, wildcat,mule creek,tate creek all looked good.
have fun,
kaya dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #10
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to give all the advice above. Planning on putting in on Wednesday Afternoon at Alameda, maybe Thursday morning if we get a late start out of Portland. We will be in Aire Lynx II IK's. We will be watching the weather/water levels closely and things still may change on our end.

Kaya Dog- If your crew is putting in on Wed or Thurs, maybe we will cross paths. If you have any interest in joing up, you are more than welcome. The more the merrier and safer... but understand if you dont. Feel free to email me at mkpatrick at hotmail dot com if interested or via PM here on the boards. Take Care,

El Matador is offline   Reply With Quote