Old 01-21-2010   #1
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1995
Rogue river intel

Newb to the forums here hoping to get some insight on the Rogue. We are planning to go (permit permitting) mid June. This will be my first time doing an overnight trip and any advice would be welcome. We will have two 14' rafts with oar frames. I would consider myself and the driver of the other boat to be strong intermediate boaters. I plan to do the fish ladder rather than do Rainie Falls. Checking out youtube there are a few great videos for Blossom Bar, although it is hard to tell the flows when the videos are shot. I get the impression most of the videos of Blossom are at high water?? What levels should we expect mid June? Any other rapids worth mentioning ahead of time? Any must see things along the river? Any other first time overnight boater advice or first Rogue float advice?

Thanks in advance!

Carl Spackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010   #2
Keizer, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Comments on the Rogue

Here are some thoughts...

On the Rogue
1. In early to mid June you'll have flows between 3,800 and 6,000 cfs. For relatively experienced boaters, these flows don't present a problem, however the water is substantially pushier than when you go in the late summer (July/August). Every year there are inexperienced boaters that get into trouble at these flows. Only you know how comfortable you are rowing on this class of water with a loaded boat.
2. Since you've never been on the Rogue before, I recommend taking a look at Blossom (which you already seem to be familiar with) and also Upper Black Bar Falls. Blossom has serious consequences if you don't make the pull into the eddy above the fence. People have died here and much gear is sacrified to the river gods every year when boaters miss this pull. In terms of upper black bar falls, if the water is high, it's easy (rocks under water). As the water drops, there are several potential wrap rocks. You shouldn't have a problem, but it never hurts to look and the scout is easy from river-right. I am attaching two photos of upper black bar falls. They were taken at low flow (around 1,800-2,000 cfs), much lower than the level you'll be going at, but you can see why it may be a good idea to scout.
3. The Rogue is bear country. Do not leave any food on your boat and use the bear fences where available.
4. Consider a 4 day trip. I know most boaters do it in 3, but 4 days gives more camp time/relaxation.
5. The BLM has a great guide to the campsites and rapids on the Rogue. I would make sure you download or pick one up and take it with.
6. Always be prepared for rain, even if the forecast says sun. It's Oregon.

On Overnight Trips
It's hard to know where to start... the long and short is to use common sense.
1. A boat loaded with gear responds much more slowly. Be prepared.
2. Strap everything down carefully and avoid entrapment hazards (e.g. loose rope).
3. Bring extra oars and a repair kit. Many people have broken oars/blades when going through Mule Creek canyon/the coffee pot. The river is EXTREMELY narrow and it is easy for an oar to get rammed into the rock wall.

Good luck on the permit! It's a great river.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KMC_3817.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	610.7 KB
ID:	2229   Click image for larger version

Name:	KMC_3818.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	598.5 KB
ID:	2230  

Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010   #3
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
From those Rogue pictures I think the big difference between it and the Gorge is technical/required maneuvering. Most rapids on the Gorge are pretty straightforward, and it looks like you'll need to do some mid-rapid maneuvering on the Rogue. A gear boat is a bit different than a day run, and it can be surprising how much more difficult it is to get it to respond and how different the timing is when you're first experiencing it. Of course, you could load it up for some practice runs in May to simulate the weight of your gear.

I've found it kind of dumbfounding how many people die on the Rogue, isn't it considered a class III to IV-(high water)? Does it draw intermediates that aren't necessarily up to the couple of more technical rapids?
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #4
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
I've done the Rogue several times (in rafts and canoes). I think you'll have a tougher time getting a permit in June, than getting through the rapids. As mentioned before, scout Black Bar and Blossom, and you'll find that it's mostly just a scenic Class III cruise. Good idea to NOT run Rainie Falls this trip. Have a good one!
briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #5
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
The Rogue is my home river and I don't remember the No. of times I've been down this run. Let's say at least 15. I'm a kayaker and only gone down with rafts twice so keep that in mind. Like the man said above keep your fingers crossed for a June date. Hopefully you choose one before school's out. Also cancelations are an option and usually plentiful. (that's how I go, but of course I live a hour from the put-in). It's a long way before the end of the rainy season here but things are below normal water wise. Flows are good in the early season and 3,500 cfs @ Agness is as easy as it gets and still have a little push. Blossom is not hard but consequences for a missed line can be severe; pinned boat to... At around 6,000 cfs the picket fence in Blossom is covered and you can run right over it. Like the post with the pictures stated Upper Black Bar can be a challange but at 3,500 and above you can bomb down the middle thru a big breaking wave with a short recovery pool before Lower Black Bar. Mule Creek Canyon gets pretty chaotic around 5,000 but I've never seen a raft have problems in there, Lots of cheap excitement to be had there. It's a great run and May thru mid-June my favorite time to be in there. I hope you score your date and don't miss the Tate Creek slide.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #6
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks for all the advice and opinions, I really appreciate the posts and pm's. The more I speak with people about the Rogue the more comfortable I become with the trip. The weight of the boat on an overnighter does not concern me at all. I've paddled my boat through some sticky spots with my boat several hundred pounds heavier than it will be for this trip. Sounds like my concern should be with getting a permit. I'll keep my fingers crossed and put some more effort into plan B.

Thanks again!
Carl Spackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #7
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
Thanks for all the advice and opinions, I really appreciate the posts and pm's. The more I speak with people about the Rogue the more comfortable I become with the trip. The weight of the boat on an overnighter does not concern me at all. I've paddled my boat through some sticky spots with my boat several hundred pounds heavier than it will be for this trip. Sounds like my concern should be with getting a permit. I'll keep my fingers crossed and put some more effort into plan B.

Thanks again!

I am shooting for the same thing, along with probably hundreds of other applicants. I have been down the Rogue, but in kayaks, in the fall and to be honest, nothing seemed to memorable/dangerous other than Rainey. But with a heavy laden raft we shall see.

This will be my first raft multiday raft trip as well, so if anyone has some further tips I know I would appreciate them.

Also, if I do draw a permit, I will be looking for about 6-8 more to fill out my party.
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010   #8
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
You can go to the Rogue River website and look up the sucess rate of permits granted for any day. There's a listing of the # of applications recieved vs granted. Dismal sucess rate in June, but possible. If I can find the link again, I'll post it. I was going to apply, but $ will be preventing it for this year.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #9
Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
I used to guide raft trips on the Rogue, and I've floated it over 100 times at water levels ranging from 1,500 to 33,000 cfs, in rafts from 11' to 16'. I've never had a problem (knocking on wood now), though I've seen plenty of others get into trouble.

My advice to any first-time Rogue boater is go on and find a copy of Jim Quinn's Guide to the Rogue River. This book has all the information that a competent boater needs to get safely down the river. You can also buy a copy at the Galice Resort (they do have a website). They can also handle your shuttle.

The Rogue has a great combination of whitewater, off-river attractions, and summertime weather. Give yourself plenty of time on your first trip. I've floated from Grave Creek to Foster Bar in as little as one day, and I've taken as long as 7 days. Give yourself enough time to see the sights and relax.

On the June trips I've run, I've never had flows above 3,500 cfs. It does happen, but not all that frequently. This is shaping up to be a low water year, and I'd expect June flows to be well under 3,000. I think the Rogue is easiest at 2,000 to 2,500, but that is a largely subjective judgement.

As for the permit, that won't be a problem. If you didn't pick one up in the lottery, just check the website every evening, and they'll tell you what spaces will be up for grabs in the morning the next day. When they have what you want, call-in at exactly 7:00 am, and keep re-dialing until you get through. I guarantee that plenty of spaces will come up. In fact, I wouldn't even be reluctant to show up at the river without a permit, and just pick up a no-show. There are (as hard as it is to believe) no-shows almost every day.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010   #10
Keizer, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
I agree with The Mogur about call-ins and no-shows. Even if you don't win a spot in the lottery, there are plenty of other ways to get on the Rogue. You'll just have to put in a little extra work and be a little more flexible. Likewise, the ability to take a mid-week launch date is a huge help in securing a permit.

I also agree that 2,000-2,500 cfs is the easiest flow for a big boat. More maneuvering, but you have more time.

To provide a final clarification about June water flows, the following is the historical data from USGS for 2005-2008 at the Agness gauge (2009 data has not yet been published, but was a high water year).
7/1/2008 - 7,040 cfs; 7/15/2008 - 4,410 cfs; 7/30/2008 - 2,380 cfs;
7/1/2007 - 3,710 cfs; 7/15/2007 - 2,920 cfs; 7/30/2007 - 3,480 cfs;
7/1/2006 - 4,560 cfs; 7/15/2006 - 4,660 cfs; 7/30/2006 - 3,730 cfs;
7/1/2005 - 4,340 cfs; 7/15/2005 - 2,940 cfs; 7/30/2005 - 3,340 cfs

As has been pointed out, this year looks like it will be a low flow year, so weigh that against the historical data to get an idea of what to expect.

P.S. I called Rand last week and they anticipate posting lottery results on their website at the beginning of next week. Good luck to everyone!

Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote