Old 10-12-2011   #1
Grand Junction, Colorado
Rogue over Thanksgiving

It looks like I might have a Thanksgiving holiday without family this year due to logistical circumstances. As such, river running sounds like a great alternative to the usual family get togethers. I've always wanted to run the wild and scenic Rogue! My wife and I took a trip out there this summer, and it looked like such a cool run, which reaffirmed my interest. I've sent a message out to a ton of people, but I thought I would float a post on the buzz to see if anyone else would be interested in a really cold, thanksgiving adventure. Give me your thoughts.....

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #2
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
T-day Rogue

Bear Camp road may be closed because of snow which makes the shuttle much longer. You should check with Affordable Shuttles and the Galice Store to see if either of them will still be doing shuttles. There is a shelter at Battle Bar to get out of the probable rain. I am launching tomorrow and will probably sqeeze in another trip in early November. You should have the fishing all to your self.

Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #3
Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
There are a few local rafters that do thanksgiveing on the rogue. Most of them are on the buzz and will probley get ahold of you if they are doing it this year. Sharon from affordable shuttles will do your shuttle even if bear camp is not open.
Ladderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #4
Coos Bay, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I know lots of people that run during that time , I will let you know if I hear of someone . I am planning near the end of this month for the pumpkin run.
riverrunr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011   #5
Grand Junction, Colorado
Wadeinthewater, Ladderboy, Riverfunr, thanks for the info!! This trip is sounding even better than I thought. Getting in with a raft supported group sounds like a much better idea than self support too, especially with the deluge of rain that time of year. If anyone is planning on a trip during Thanksgiving, I would be more than happy to cover a good chunk of the shuttle costs.
Old 10-13-2011   #6
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Another good thing about November paddling on the Rogue is the possibility of getting in a Illinois trip in the same week.
It could even be sunny and pleasant weather wise too...but don't count on it.
I'd be interested in tagging along, keep us posted.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011   #7
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I was going to head to the San Juan again, but I'd be interested in details...
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011   #8
Grand Junction, Colorado
Due to a lot of work and family conflicts, it appears that so far I only know of one other person who's interested. I haven't heard back from everyone yet, so I'm hoping a few more people express interest. My schedule is pretty flexible. I could leave Boise on the afternoon of 11/19 (Friday) and I don't have to return until 11/27 (Sunday). I can't stay the entire duration, but I can definitely work around scheduling conflicts. If anyone can make it to Boise, I can drive the rest of the way. I also have a trailer and tow hitch if anyone wants to bring their raft. This seems like a great trip, and I would be interested in combining it with an Illinois trip. Anyone interested?
Old 10-14-2011   #9
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
The Rogue that time of year is going to be spectacular. I really like it in the winter. There are very few people and the place is gorgeous with the way that the clouds are moving through the mountains. You'll just need to plan on being rained on full time and be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't. Bring your gore-tex everything, and a pop-up tent and you'll be fine. Oh, and remember that you are in black bear country there.

If you're going to get over and run the Illy while you are in the area, make sure you remember that a 14' is about the biggest you can run and make damned sure you don't put on if rain is in the forecast. That river spikes hard and fast and creates all sorts of trouble in a hurry. You should be shooting to see something around 2,000 cfs and falling. Also, bring an extra day of food in case you need to wait out high water.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011   #10
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I live in the area and I'd love to go though Thanksgiving day is a no go for me and I'd be interested more in the Illinois so hopefully that would work out with your schedule but of course as brando pointed out the Illinois calls the shots that time of year, thankfully weather forecasts are a lot more dependable then they once were in the not too distant past.
I'm a kayaker and I've been down both runs many times...450cfs at Kirby was the lowest flow I've been down the Illinois and it was fine for a kayak self-support but that flow would be tight for a raft in a few places. Last November I was on a raft support trip at 800cfs at Kirby and that was fine for the small raft that came along on that trip.
Hopefully the flow co-operates

pretender is offline   Reply With Quote