Old 01-12-2013   #11
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I found the BLM to be very vague and disconnectecd regarding the El Vado releases. They told me the BOR was going to do whatever they do and they don't communicate with the BLM. They couldn't even tell me who I might contact with the BOR to inquire of their scheduled releases. Not like the good communication that we see shared on the Buzz about the Navajo operations on the San Juan.

That said, Eileen with the BLM, was great and shared our excitement at the check-in about our flows and camps. She said she hadn't gotten to go down recently and seemed ready to jump on our rafts and join us. Her enthusiasm was contagious and we had a great time!

Overall, my experience left me feeling like it is simply a more laid-back scene and they would like to keep it that way. If you are fortunate enough to score a permit, find a crew that will appreciate the experience and try to not let anything stop you.

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #12
Jenks, Oklahoma
Same here as far as the ladies in the Taos BLM office. They have helped us out more than once. Very nice folks!

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013   #13
In the past, if you contacted Mary Carlson ( ) at ABQ BOR, she'd then email you the Chama flow outlook on an almost weekly basis in the summer.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #14
Eagle, Colorado
Permit Application

Hi all, I floated the Chama many years ago...20 to be exact and would like to do it again. The BLM website is vague as to obtaining a permit though. It says "the postcard" shoud be filled out completely by adult 18 years or older but I can't find a link to the application postcard or whatever. Can someone please help me so I can try to apply for a permit, thanks!!!
jvwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #15
don't bogart that
Frosted Flakes N of Baytuckey, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Postcard will become your permit

Call them,Taos BLM office, and have them send you the postcard, but get it back to them by the end of the month
rpludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013   #16
Eagle, Colorado
Thanks, just called and left voicemail
jvwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #17
Louisville, Colorado
I like earlier, April/May, for the water, wildlife, and solitude. I am sad to hear the cabin burned down, that place was neat.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013   #18
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
El Vado at 5%

Just an FYI- El Vado lake is at ~5% capacity, and 12% of last year's level - they drained it last summer. Heron lake is well below 50% capacity, so there's no capacity to refill El Vado. On top of that, snowpack in the watershed is at ~65% of last year so far (as of Jan 17), and last year was a dismal year for runoff.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I love the Chama and had a lot of fun last year, but this year doesn't look very good at all.

They will likely have some weekend releases, but the irrigation releases are going to come from Abique this year, downstream of the wilderness canyon. I'm thinking this year may be the year to do Whiterock canyon, I just need to figure out a shuttle arrangement...

Issip is offline   Reply With Quote