Mountain Buzz banner

recommended camsites in cataract canyon

4K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  poudreraft 
#1 ·
Howdy all-

I'm getting ready to fill out a permit for cataract canyon for this year.
Never been... I was hoping to get some advice on what campsites to request.

would appreciate any feedback...

Brian

#2 ·
You don't have to request campsites for Cat. All you have to fill in for that permit is your launch date, and location and takeout date. Once you're on the river, at the big Danger sign above Spanish Bottom, there is a register, and you register for camps there. Hopefully everyone looks at the register though and doesn't take someone else's camp/actually signs up for a camp.

#6 ·
Rapid 10 is a good place to camp. If you are gonna do the flatwater up high in two days, there are numerous good beaches to camp at. Spanish Bottom is also a really good campsite. I'm not sure how good it is since it burned down, but it is a great place to stage for an early morning run up to the Dollhouse, quite possibly the coolest hike on the river. After that, it is customary in the circles I have been with to camp above Big Drop One, so you can get psyched out for the Big 3. Good beach on river left. When I went down the last time with Count, there were 29 rapids I believe. After you get out of them, there are good camps for a few miles, until you get into the hell of Lake Foul. Just try to find a spot before you get too deep into the silt deposit, or you will play hell getting up the bank. Right below rapid 29 on the right is a decent beach. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
All of the mentioned are good camps. A few more to add to the list are
Lathrop Canyon
Indian Creek
Boulder Ledges
#5 Right.
#10 Right i.e. Lower X and Y Canyon
(for the surf with flows below 8K)
Ten Cent
Lower Ten Cent
Clear Water Canyon is worth a look and a nice walk up the canyon.

Happy Boating

#8 ·
Just watch out for snakes! In Sept. we were heading towards Lake Powell and a group behind us sent a raft ahead with three people taking turns on the oars. They sped out in front and snaked the last camp spot right in front of us. It ended up working out, but sure pissed us off! They even knew a member of our group. I like the rule on the Dolores that you don't have a camp spot until your WHOLE group has arrived. Seems to be a matter of courtesy also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.