Old 02-26-2013   #1
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1995
Questions for 23 day Grand Canyon trip, launch next week

Hello all! Thanks for having me here. This is a great resource and seems like an awesome community. Hopefully we don't seem too crazy doing this trip in march. Second full run for me, not counting multiple diamond down runs.

Yes, it's going to be cold!

We are rowing three rafts, but I'm trying to find a kayak to add on. I do not own an appropriate boat for this run; hopefully some lender or renter or seller comes my way

Question: would an old school perception pirouette S be tolerable for this run? Is the only thing in my price range that seems available in my time window, but I don't want to be way uncomfortable. The longer boats seem sound better for the flat water

Also, I would love to hear any big ticket tips for a trip like this (like down booties in rubber boots for cold morning loading).

Thanks all!!!

Dukegbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #2
Red lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1987
When do you launch? We are a group of 8 launching the 4th. Lets hope for decent temps and flows! Bring more beer than you think you'll need. The Pirouette should be very roomy and will be a good surfer, don't pay more than 100 bucks

ootek34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #3
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Baby powder for neck gaskets was nice. If its cold double the whiskey i like to ad mine to some thera flu on super cold days (but i have problems) be careful with that shit tho. But yes down booties were amazing i would get the mountaineering ones that go inside climbing boots with no sole. I wore mine under my gmer and never was cold, put on jan in the coldest weather stretch in 25 years. You should have better weather than that for sure. Make sure you have a couple back up pairs of gloves they are hard to dry and start to break down easily. Under the firepan is a good place to dry your gear but watch out for coals. You can also dry gear in your sleeping bag at night. Have fun
huck_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #4
B.V., Colorado
Originally Posted by huck_finn View Post
If its cold double the whiskey i like to ad mine to some thera flu on super cold days (but i have problems) be careful with that shit tho. careful is right:

Paracetamol toxicity is the foremost cause of acute liver failure in the Western world, and accounts for most drug overdoses in the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand....

If you drink alcohol and take acetaminophen, you are at great risk for liver damage from the combination. Medical experts advise heavy drinkers (three or more alcoholic drinks per day) to avoid acetaminophen altogether and instead take a different type of pain reliever.

Read more: About Acetaminophen & Alcohol | About Acetaminophen & Alcohol |

OP, a hot thermos is a great treat on cold days, bring tea bags and ask that extra water be made during breakfast.

Also, you would probably be fine in a perception pirouette S, but make sure you are comfortable in it, especially if no raft room available for the all of the flat water. I think you would prefer something with more edge for surfing.
"Huck Finn?...more like huck-and-swim"
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013   #5
Flagstaff, Arizona
I'm sorry I haven't researched this, but would a tandem duckie work well as a rescue boat, maybe better, compared to a kayak?

Also, a friend tipped me off to doing some major precooking and bringing the chili already frozen, etc., freeing up hiking and bocci time...probably just a matter of how much cooler space there is.

Ootek- we also launch on the 4th with 11, so see you there! Definitely thinking warm thoughts. Mostly concerned for the couple newbs on the trip that may be shocked the by cold water, however, half of us are from or live in AK; no strangers to cold.

Huck-I have an old school kokatat with no booties! But will have neoprene socks and booties. Good call on the xtra gloves and drying techniques. Gracias!

Mel-thank you for the serious take on a real issue. It's good to set precedent for safety first, though I can appreciate hucks suggestion for combined pain relief and liquid enjoyment. I don't usually take pain relievers, if anything ibuprofen. W might do hot water at lunch with a tiny stove, but thermos is key!
Old 02-26-2013   #6
Flagstaff, Arizona
I think I'm going to go with the tandem duckie for a couple reasons:

1. It will be enjoyed by all on the trip, taking turns, not needing roll know-how.

2. I thiiiiink it's a better safety boat, as you can throw people on it (?), though it is not as swift as a yak.

3. If there is total disinterest, etc., it can be rolled up and strapped to a raft.

Surfing and tracking and flat water will suck more, but that'd be a selfish endeavor anyway. Also, I'm not yet a serious kayaker in the play and surf fashion.
Old 02-26-2013   #7
Flagstaff, Arizona
Oh, plus a friend is loaning his tandem duckie, helmets, paddles, etc., so the price is right: $free.99