Old 04-07-2009   #1
Rio Rancho, 871124
Paddling Since: 2003
putin etiquette

So, what is the proper way to launch a raft at a putin. Load raft first and carry to the water, put the raft at the edge of the river and carry everything down to it and pack it. What is the best way to putin without pissing everyone else behind you off? also maybe at the takeout too.

Greg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #2
steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I like to load the raft still on the trailer, the back the trailer up, float the boat off, and float.

striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #3
Palisade, Colorado
depends on the scene...
conserve space if its an issue.
be mindful of others.
talk w/people, be nice...
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #4
Depends on what you're loading, if you load a gear boat on the beach out of the way it will suck getting it in the water. If it's just a light boat I would agree with peak, it depends on the scene and how busy it is.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #5
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Basically, the smaller your slice of ramp and the less time you spend there, the better. It really depends on your gear and the specifics of the launch point as to how you do that though. Think about it while still at home - can you put your rolled boat in back / on top of the load so that it is the first thing off, or are you going to have to make a gear pile on the ground before you can inflate the raft? Can you remember where you packed your cam straps? Floating a rigged boat off your trailer sure is nice, but not everyone is so lucky.

Except for when I unloaded everything on the jet boat side of the ramp at Potash, most people are pretty chill. Just don't be that guy with your gear spread out over the entire area sitting on your camp chair with a beer in hand waiting for your raft to dry before you even think about loading anything. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #6
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
depends on the scene...
conserve space if its an issue.
be mindful of others.
talk w/people, be nice...
Ditto to what everyone above says. It comes down to those things you learned in kindergarten. Ahead of time think about what you can do to minimize your time and space on the ramp. If its crowded, pleasantly check with the folks that are rigging, relax and chill out if you have to wait on someone.

Remember, only you can prevent Ramp Rage.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
also, accept that some people are tea baggers and will be pissed no matter what you do.

that said...inflate away from the ramps. gear sort away from ramps. do as much as you can away from ramps before really loading it up but load up on the ramps, no doubt. even if you are the only party there because put ins /take outs can get super busy in a heartbeat.

for unloading, even if there is nobody there...hustle because invariably 10 boats are right behind you around the corner.

be courteous and patient. help out too if it moves things along for other parties vs. shooting crusties at them.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #8
Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ditto to what's been said. Assess the situation and try to stay out of the way of trailers. I don't have a trailer, so I inflate the boat and strap the frame at the side of the ramp. If there's room, I tie off out of the way of the ramp and load in the water. Carrying a fully loaded raft/cat would be too painful. Mostly, it's about being aware of others around you and doing the golden rule thing. Asleep pointed out something really important: packing your gear at home in a manner that allows for maximum put in efficiency.
Uh, I'm just gonna go find a cash machine.
Riparian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #9
And try to avoid popular commercial times, i.e.-the ark.
Ifloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #10
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
tear into the parking lot with some hardcore gangsta rap BLASTING (immortal technique works great) and spray everyone with gravel as you proceed to do donuts in the parking lot. then, drive right the waters edge, weaving through everyones gear, get out, and just start throwing shit around everywhere. push other peoples stuff out of the way with a nice simple, "excuse me" as you slide it out of your way. then, open the tail gate and drink a beer while reveling in loud and exaggerated anecdotes about past trips. after an hour of this, lazily get everything together and then spray everyone with gravel again as you tear off to go park on the grass next to the "NO PARKING HERE" sign. make a big show of locking your vehicle, loudly complain about not trusting anyone in "this ghetto area" and then get in your boats and float away, leaving a box of empty beer cans for someone else to pick up. repeat as necessary at the takeout.

"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote