Old 02-10-2011   #1
Golden, Colorado
Pumphouse or Rancho

Never done the Colorado (or many others for that matter). What's the earliest you would float/fish either section? I have a 13' North Fork Outfitters 2 man boat and have only floated it on the San Juan below Navajo.

OldFatMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #2
As soon as the ice melts.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #3
Golden, Colorado
I did it in April the year I started kayaking. There was some ice in the water and on the banks but not too much. It was cold as hell, though. I had icicles on the brim of my helmet and was cold the whole way but my buddies, who were in a raft doing some flyfishing were OK. They were fishing in ice water so they weren't nice and warm but they had fun, I guess.

I raft more often now that I have my own raft and I probably won't have it up to Pumphouse before May.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #4
Golden, Colorado
Thanks Ture. Sounds like mid May shouild be a pretty safe bet?
Old 02-10-2011   #5
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The further downstream you go the warmer it gets. The Colorado below Glenwood Springs may be a good place for getting on the water sooner, then you can go out to Grand Junction or Moab for even warmer weather.

I've run Glenwood to South Canyon in January before. Wherever you go, if its before March be wary of any continually shaded places as that's where the ice dams develop. Think low altitude and open terrain. Or Mexico.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #6
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
We did Ruby Horsethief on the Colorado in mid-march last year, drove through a snowstorm all the way to eagle and had a beautiful ice free weekend.
Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #7
Summit County, and Idaho
It all depends on what spring is like. Right now its -15 and has been in the single digits all week here and our snowpack is through the roof. Even in Kremmling.
Last year when we did pumphouse in April it snowed, and we froze our ass's off. But, you never know what will happen. I hope it warms up early this year, as we are all jonesing to get into the water!

We will plan on our annual pumphouse early season party & float again this year. Usually mid-late april weather depending.

Keep in mind, that the more whiskey you drink.....the warmer you are!
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #8
Golden, Colorado
Thanks guys. I'm going to be hooked up pretty tight at work until early May so maybe this will be a good first trip.
Old 02-10-2011   #9
That's all I'm saying, it's one of those questions no one can answer but only speculate on. Just have to take it as it comes. if you weren't thinking until mid-May anyway it will be well after go time. I thought you asked what's the earliest....heck it's running 507 now but the channel might be 3 feet wide and the road a little jacked...haha. I think it got down to -18 in Kremmling yesterday.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #10
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Comeon FallingUp, we froze more than our asses last April. But we had a ton of fun. Bring more booze! Just don't underestimate the troff (sp?) road when it's muddy. Can be pretty hairy toward the top.

SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote