Old 09-19-2012   #41
Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
2 on left definitely weren't kayak trash, but were the type to hang out with kayak trash. Smiles were photoshopped. We really had a miserable time.

BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012   #42
Port Townsend, Washington
Paddling Since: 1975
Originally Posted by semievolved View Post
i wanted to apologize for my role in promoting this negative sprial. i wish i hadn't written in anger and said things i later regretted.

i am aware of the risks of finding someone found through this forum, an unknown, and the last thing i wanted to be doing 4 weeks out from a grand trip was scrambling for a partner. unfortunately, not all of us are full-time outdoor people with few strings. most of the people i know and boat with are tied down by jobs and family and it's very difficult for them to break loose a month outside of a 3.5 week trip. i may well go solo, but there are a number of reasons i was hoping to avoid that. if i get swept off my boat there's no hope of someone jumping to take the oars or throw me a line. if another boat gets into trouble or someone is in the water, it's difficult to both get my boat there to help and to throw a line. a passenger is invaluable in that case. yes, a kayaker might alleviate some of the safety concerns, but, and really no offense intended here, on trips i have been on, it's been the rafters saving the kayakers, not the other way around. i am sure it works both ways, just hasn't for me so far.

a lesser consideration is the cost. permits and hualapai fees are already gone and nonrefundable. costs for shuttle and transport now have to be borne by fewer people. these numbers aren't prohibitive but, for me at least, they are significant.

as to the great kayak debate, i regret if what i said made it sound like i have something against all kayakers, i don't. i have been on trips where they work as hard and contribute as much as anybody. and, i have been on trips where they pull their boats out of the water and sit on the shore drinking beer while others unload everything, set up kitchen/crapper, and take care of everything. i've heard them say that they don't have to deal with that stuff because their job is providing safety on the water.

for this trip, we prefer no kayakers. don't take it personally, it's just what we prefer and i think we should be able to make that call for ourselvces and not have to justify it.

for the poster who said i would not be comfortable as a "bow cow" (i liked that, by the way), you are wrong. if i knew the rower and had confidence in him/her, i would love to be the rider. i never get enough time to just lay back and watch the walls go by, and that's the part i love the most about that trip.

i can't address all the negative things that were put out there or comments people make that may be well intended but are based on a lack of understanding about this situation.

i hesitated writing this because i worry it will just provide more fodder and opportunity for some here to renew their attacks. but, first and foremost i wanted to apologize, and i did that.

peace, over and out.

just checked back, wow...damn...I think if I posted my professional and personal resumes (not gonna happen here) you all might be stunned at how effective Dr. Semi's post was.

Abaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012   #43
Port Townsend, Washington
Paddling Since: 1975
Watch "Sacred Headwaters" Video at Patagonia Video Gallery

Abaloney is offline   Reply With Quote