Old 06-08-2015   #1
Playpark advice?

I've got Sat, June 13 through Sun, June 21st off. I figure I'll boat the Poudre the first weekend, and hit Fibark the second weekend (I've never been), but during the week I want to take a tour of a bunch of playparks. I've been to a few before (Lyons, BV, Salida, and Glenwood), but always at the end of the season at low water. My plan is to see them this year in all their glory.

But I only have 5 days and there are a whole bunch of playparks. I'm starting in Fort Collins, so I was originally thinking I'd hit Golden, Pueblo, Salida, BV, Glenwood, Steamboat, Gore, and then drive back to Salida for the end of Fibark. Now that I'm working out the details, I'm realizing that's too many play parks in too few of days. So my question is which parks are the ones I should be sure and hit?

I'm a beginner playboater, but a solid class IV boater. I have no worries with my roll, but all I can really do is surf and flat spin a bit. I'm close to getting a flatwater cartwheel and haven't really attempted loops yet although I'm hoping to work on that next week.

Any suggestions on which parks should be on my list?

jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
Without a doubt, be sure to hit Union if flows stay up. It's wave surfing paradise above 1400...and it's currently above 2k.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #3
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I would work this counter clockwise for driving logistics. The front range has better snow pack in its drainages and the west should be peaking within the next week.

FoCo, Steamboat?, gore, Edwards (looked real nice Saturday) glenwood, big sur?, montrose, gunnison, bv/saliva, pueblo, union/golden.

The question marks may not have the best flows (have not verified though) and big sur may or may not go but if it does and your new to surfing it can be a big forgiving wave to work with. This does front load with some intimidating waves though at gore and glenwood. But big sur and montrose could be considered rest days if you wanted to back off some. Regardless should be fun and your timing is excellent. I am jealous. Pack your protein, bananas and recovery drinks!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
"I plan to leisurely advance through my existence" - Terry Fuhrman 1991
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
You should go to Confluence (Trestle) if the flow continues to crank like this. I stopped by Golden yesterday and it seemed a little > optimum flow.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #5
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Steamboat is still over 2000, and should be good next week. Park and Play at C-Hole by library.
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #6
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
No offense meant towards the front range boaters but you should stay away from the S Platte cesspool. I'm sure some of the waves are good but why boat a sewer when everything else is running. BV and salida are great right now, you can hit those when you come to fibark. (You missed paddlefest which is way more better than fibark) If big sur is in that could be a once in a lifetime experience based on your post

eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #7
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I can't stop, sorry. I know nothing about the wave in canyon other than I've surfed it in a raft at 4k, it was good then. Don't know where you're coming from but the royal gorge/big horn is super fun right now. Definitely worth checking out

eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #8
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Glenwood is awesome right now. Just a big wave with a nice foampile. I haven't been up to the gore playpark lately, but it sounds like that one has waved out as well with the high water. Vail is usually a good hole for loops and cartwheels, but I'm not sure if the water levels will hold for when you get here. I haven't been to many of the other ones that you listed aside from buena vista, but I agree with the comment on following the best flows. I would say that glenwood is the most reliable through a wide variety of flows, but if you are looking to get your loop and cartwheel I would look to see if vail is in.
"The most dangerous risk of all is the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet that you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later." -Unknown
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #9
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I would follow -K-'s advice, but would skip Pueblo and Union. Montrose will be in.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015   #10
behind the 2nd flatiron, Colorado
I wouldn't miss union.

GroverGrover is offline   Reply With Quote