Old 12-09-2010   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Phoenix Kayaking over Christmas?

My wife and I are headed from Fort Collins, CO to Phoenix, AZ to spend Christmas with my folks. We leave Fort Collin, Thursday, December 23rd and will drive straight through. We then plan to spend a week in the Phoenix / Meas area.

Is there ANYTHING running worth bringing our kayaks?
What about the Daily on the Salt?

My wife would be looking for a Class 3 and I'd be potentially interested in a Class 4.

We are willing to drive some from the Phoenix / Mesa area, so any and all nearby locations will be appreciated.

GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010   #2
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
Nothing is really running right now. The Verde River up north of Phoenix is running just under 200 cfs and is class 3 Beasley Flat to Gap Creek. Don't really think it would be worth bringing your boats from Fort Collins though. Fossil Creek is also runnable year round if you are dying to get in your boat and run waterfalls on less cfs than a toilet flush. Enjoy our warm weather!!

Doubledown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010   #3
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
if the rains start up early then youre in business for a lot of stuff. but no rain = no water. maybe some low flow scrapeage....cody howard or mike fisher or one of the AZ boys might be able to point youto something thats ok. or you could go to a sweet little unknown off the way unheard of never before seen gem called "Fossil Creek".....
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You could definitely hit Fossil:

Fossil Creek video 3/20

There are a couple of sections of the Verde that run pretty much year round, but they are pretty lame II-III sand bar dodging. I have a couple of friends in Cottonwood who like to hit up the Salt daily in winter when they get good moisture...but I think this is going to be a dry season down there. Check out Fossil, it runs at a low (but boatable) spring fed flow all winter.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #5
Tempe, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
I live in Phx metro. Not much (close) thats running this time of year except Fossil Creek. Its fun pool drop waterfalls, some pics on FB page (friend), pmail me for a URL. OR just search utube/goolge. Its a class 3 perhaps (to a beginner). None the less its a fun run for us locals when all is dried up. not a full day run though.

The Verde below Bartlett Dam has a few class 2 waves and a ledge hole that can be sticky at certain levels. All this is 1.5 hours north of Phx and park and play within 3/4 mile downsteam the dam. Im going this weekend to check it out.

If your jones-in, and have room I would bring you're boats. However its not a full class3-4 day run on either of these if thats what your expecting.

The Verde day run can be done at 200-300 but its a bony ELF run for sure. LONG-ish shuttle. The upper Salt isnt worth your time to get up there unless its running from rain/warm front this time of year. to check on local phx scene.

seangar5 is offline   Reply With Quote