Old 12-09-2012   #1
Bailey, Colorado
Permit ettiquite?

New to the whole permitting process, looking to do a SJ trip next year. Do my wife and I and everyone else on a prospective trip put in for a permit to increase our chances, or is that bad form?

Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012   #2
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by Beeks
New to the whole permitting process, looking to do a SJ trip next year. Do my wife and I and everyone else on a prospective trip put in for a permit to increase our chances, or is that bad form?
That's how everyone else does it. Take the person who gets it.

I never did the SJ but any permit river i've ever won has been due to having about 30 people submit

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I think that's a bit overboard. I generally have myself and 1-2 other people I want to float with apply. If we all get our trips, then fantastic!...... but that never happens. What is more likely is 1 person will get the dates they requested..... maybe nobody. That's ok. Just check the schedule once your on record with them. It's very easy to grab another open date or cancellation.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012   #4
salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
With the odds of drawing some of these rivers the more the better... At least 8 people from my group will be applying.. last years statistics for drawing the middle fork where 1/24... The main is 1/19.. and the selway is 1/44.. I would like to float these rivers more than once every 19 years.. all the cancellations that are droped aren't people that can't make it.... Sure some are, but I would say the majority are groups that drew multiples and are dropping thier excess... Thier extras being dropped becomes someone else's good fortune... I would say it might be poor etiquette if they weren't reissued... And people don't hoard them because if you don't show you are banned from application for I think four years... I would say have the core people that you know are in no matter what draw... Don't have people that aren't dedicated to the trip apply.... Last year I was watching the group behind us run pistol rapid, the lady on the boat was crying her eyes out, saying I don't even want to be on this river at this level... The only reason she was there was because she had the permit...
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote