Old 03-05-2010   #1
Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Pearce Ferry Rapid, Lake Mead

As the water level on Lake Mead drops, the surprise rapid in the Pearce Ferry area has become a formidable obstacle. In fact, it is developing into an outright waterfall.

In 2007 I made the Grand Canyon float, and we opted to take out at South Cove, meaning that we had to motor across Lake Mead. We had our five rafts all strapped together, and we were enjoying a lazy afternoon of quiet cruising to the beat of our little Nissan 4-stroke outboard. And then we were surprised to find ourselves looking at a rapid that nobody had mentioned. We hurriedly pulled the motor and mounted-up oars on the outboard rafts, and with some coordinated rowing we were able to pull our gang of rafts around the bend.

I've just looked at videos on YouTube showing that same rapid (shot between November 2009 and February 2010), and it is fearsome! It may even become impassable if the Lake Mead water level continues to drop, as is forecast.

So if you're planning a Grand Canyon trip, with a South Cove takeout, you'd better take a look at the videos! I've heard that there are plans to extend the road out to the new river channel from the old Pearce Ferry landing, so that boaters can take-out above the falls; but I don't know how soon that might happen.

Oh. And if you're planning a Grand Canyon trip, invite me. Thanks.

The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #2
West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
The new road is expected to open later this month.

Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #3
Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
I hope that's true. The last word I had was that the construction was complete as of March 3, but the NPS had not yet authorized use. Here are some photos of the new ramp: - Home > Pearce Ferry Road Extension
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #4
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Pearce Ferry Road Extension to Open March 15, 2010

The road and boatramp will open on March 15. Details here.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
This has to be the 2nd or 3rd most popular rapid on the grand now

we were there at about 28,000 cfs and it went like a dreamboat to the left, SUPER FUN

I have heard 2 low water trips drip it on the right, this at high water could be lethal as the uniform ledge hole there is terrifying.
I've never boated before, but I have posted a lot on Mountain Buzz!
rg5hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #6
It is fun to watch this thing evolve. Ran it in late Sept 2009 @ 10k cfs.
I ran just left of the island and right of the big left hole. A very narrow
run that judging from the latest photos no longer would be possible.

One cat in our group ran the right run that was then a 7' water fall.
Now that looks like a bigger waterfall into several ugly holes/ledges.

Everyone else ran left of the big hole that is just left of the island and than pulled off the left wall to miss a ledge hole against the wall.
That was the easy route! Now it looks scary!!! I love evolution!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #7
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Just ran Pearce Ferry and road is open.

We just got off the Grand Canyon and ran Pearce Ferry Rapid on March 30th. We ran left of the 2 GIANT holes (waterfalls?) that are forming just to left of the giant rock. The right "run" is a little Niagara. We broke the small laterals on the left at the top of the rapid and floated just to the edge of the eddy forming near the corner. You don't want to go too far into the eddy or you won't have much momentum. We then made a sharp right hand turn into a shoot between the second large hole, and a steep pourover on the far left of the shore. Tight, but the water was taking us right there. We barely got wet (really). It is a scary looking rapid.
We had to get rescued off of Lake Mead thanks to 3 days of very high winds. One of of volunteer rescuers (thank you) and the Park Ranger commented that they thought the rapid would be unrunable in a year.
The good news is the road is open and it looked pretty good. Not a super huge takeout, but sufficient. If you pull out at Pearce you can walk down to the rapid for a scout and see if you want to run it depending on where your vehicle is.
titsikama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #8
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Having not yet done the Grand, I was curious as to what you guys were talking about. Found this online - it's a great time-lapse visualization and description of the geology / hydrology in action....

Superimposition Rapid/Pearce Ferry Rapid

And here's an image from March 3rd, 2010:

Plus a whole series of recent pics here:
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #9
Golden, Colorado
I can't find the photos now but somewhere there are some pics of that rapid at what must be a lower lake level. The pics are taken from downstream looking up. Horrifying. The river right side was a large waterfall into massive killer holes.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #10
Greeley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 84
Lake Mead has nothing to do with it at this time. It's evolving. It will take many years of heavy snow pack in the CO tribs to cover this area. In the mean time Angolina, Jennifer, Mliey, and I plan to innertube it in Late May. E-

ericnourse is offline   Reply With Quote