Old 05-30-2011   #1
buena vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1889
pearce ferry rapid

running the grand this fall. thinking about running pearce ferry rapid. will have flows at 15000 what do you think?

harnercodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #2
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I think you are nuts for trying to decide to run a rapid based on interwebz feedback, that has generally been perceived to be worse than anything in the Grand Canyon.......without even seeing it.

There is a take out there for a reason. But that's just me. I am pretty conservative. If this is making a shuttle decision for you ( why you would want to row the Lake is also beyond me ) but good luck.

To make a better decision. Please include your experience level, boat, height, weight, inseam, head size, SS #, quantity of flatulence daily, any disturbing experiences with the priest hood and the amount of alcohol you plan to consume before.

Peace. G'luck.

carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #3
buena vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1889
i guess i'm looking for frist hand acounts. this will be my 8th trip down the grand, with 2 times though the lake (at a much higher state ) every time its time to take out the want to keep going is very strong. i hear the current runs just 3 miles from next take out (dove cove?) still 90 days away to make up my mind. thanks
harnercodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Read through the recent post about peace ferry rapid and make up your own mind. Be ready to portage if you don't like what you see and if the constant changes result in a rapid you don't feel comfortable navigating. To my eye a far left run looked plausible in a raft - but video scouting is different from in-person scouting.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #5
Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
I agree with CD, it needs a look. It's changed radically in the last two years. I went down to have a look at it in April and was glad that we weren't attempting to portage let alone try to run it. Flow was 19,000cfs. That was my 21st GC trip and I don't mind big water and have a good resume to prove it. I would want no part of that rapid in any craft. It is much bigger and nastier in person. Don't take my advise though, go have a look before your trip and then decide.
mgpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #6
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
In 2009, my group ran Pearce Ferry Rapid and it was a piece of cake. I really enjoyed going all the way to South Cove, as it added a good conclusion to the trip, finally seeing the river current end in a "lake." Rowing the few miles across the beginning of Lake Mead was not at all difficult for us.
In February of 2011, at about 20,000 cfs, we took out at Pearce Ferry, derigged, and hiked down to view PF Rapid before heading home. Being a relatively conservative boater, I saw no viable line, and the eddy at the take-out for the portage (a daunting task with Grand Canyon rafts and equipment) looked small and close to the beginning of the rapid's pull.
I have another trip coming up (Jan. 2012), and am definitely taking out at Pearce Ferry again. The rapid is just getting too huge to be fun for me.
Since shuttles have to be set up in advance, and Pearce Ferry is more than likely a long way from where you live, scouting the rapid before your trip to help with your decision is probably impractical. Good luck with whatever you decide.
briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #7
West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
I took out at Pearce Ferry 17 days ago. Our group walked down to scout the rapid and judged it to be unrunnable. Portaging looked very difficult as well.
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011   #8
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Have most of your rigs shuttled to Pearce Ferry. Have one shuttled to South Cove. Stop at the Pearce Ferry ramp. Walk downriver and scout the rapid. Now you are set whatever you decide.

Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote