Old 08-17-2015   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Payette cut off?

Hey guys,

I'm looking to head up to Idaho in the next few days as the NF Payette gauge shows it still running strong. I only have a week or so, if I could just get a few days I'd be stoked. Anyone have any info on a cut off date for it?

I'll also be looking for people to jump on it with. I've done the lower 5 on a previous trip and will be looking to lap that.

quesihealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015   #2
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
there's no dams on it, and it runs year round. as long as the lakes have water, the river will run. it's been really strong the last few weeks, I'm sure it'll be fine in the next few days as well.

"Thats what" - She
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015   #3
Grand Junction, Colorado
Originally Posted by PhilipJFry View Post
there's no dams on it, and it runs year round. as long as the lakes have water, the river will run. it's been really strong the last few weeks, I'm sure it'll be fine in the next few days as well.
What? There is a dam on Cascade Reservoir, so they do control the releases on the North Fork. This is a tough water year in Idaho, but usually this is how it goes:

The South Fork is fed by spring run off early in the season while the North Fork remains relatively low (unless it's an average or better water year).

Once the South Fork natural runoff starts to drop, the Deadwood Dam starts releasing to augment South Fork flows. Usually about this time, the North Fork is fully ramped up. The South Fork is usually the first river to be cut back by the end of August. The North Fork will generally run close to the end of September.

The whole thing is all about irrigation and maintaining flows in the Main Payette. Who knows what will happen this year because it's such a lousy water year....
When we quit believing in our corrupt political system, it will finally fall apart. REVOLUTION!!!
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015   #4
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Hmm. Payette Lake Dam. Cascade Dam.

Edit: Outlaw beat me to it.
duct tape is online now   Reply With Quote