Old 02-11-2011   #21
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997

Should I be honored by being included in the "Fort Collins Posse" or am I simply a boater from Fort Collins? Either way would be interested in boating this weekend with you. Let me know your plans.

Thanks, Lenny.

GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #22
So is there a preference on days? Saturday or Sunday? I'm willing to do Sunday if that works best. Salida's flow gauge is showing 400. Not sure what that means for Numbers, but anywhere w/o ice is good this time of year

I can likely do a carpool from FC area on up. Though if we boat Sunday I'm tempted to ski Saturday and camp out up in BV.

jtnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #23
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
+1 from Summit County for a Sunday run....
farmer_juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #24
Paddling Since: 96
I drove up to #4 at lunch today. There is a line to be had all the way to Miner's Campground, BUT, still quite a bit of ice. As in some shelves with good current running under them. As in, it is not read and run in some spots. You need to know where you're going to finish a rapid before you enter it. A lot of rocks have 2' skirts around them (knock you over undercuts). There are a couple spots where the line is not much more than a boat width wide. I know it really well at low water and I'm confidant that with adequate road scouting I could run all of it but I would not have done so this afternoon. There are definitely a lot of places to die in the rio right now. If we get another spike in levels that would do it or maybe this afternoon's warmth and tomorrow's will open it up enough. I would say Sunday is a 60/40 go for me and I'd be happy to paddle with others but you need to be very solid. Swimming could be terminal. Most of the rio banks are lined with ice so escaping would be very difficult. Don't mean to be a downer, just want to give an accurate report of conditions. I'll post again tomorrow. Lance, there is definitely more ice (and water) than when we ran it.
Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #25
Thanks Phil. If it's much worse than Dec 22, not sure how excited I am for Numbers. I know I can do it a bit narrower than then, but there's a limit there I'm not willing to pass. I'm happy to drive on up and see and if too bad take photo's, hit something else, or even "play" at one of the parks if there's water for that (doesn't take too much for my lack of play ability!)

Old 02-11-2011   #26
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Well, I guess we will wait to hear from you on sat. Thanks for taking a look for us, more water should be fun.Would you want to paddle parkdale if numbers is a no go for sunday? Thanks again phil.......Lance
LanceDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #27
For those from FC, I will be driving up Sunday, so let me know if you want to carpool.
I'm fine for doing whatever flows and isn't ice choked, Parkdale, Gorge, Numbers, etc.

970 two three one 0 3 three six.
Old 02-12-2011   #28
She's good to go! A little over 24 hours later and a 45? degree afternoon and almost all the rock skirts and larger frozen eddies are gone. The banks are still frozen and there's a new line or two from the "normal" low water line but there's 320+ cfs in there and I'm really surprised how much she's opened up. I'm ready to go early afternoon (12-1?). Please refer to my earlier post, this is winter boating, but there's a good run to be had tomorrow if yer solid... I also propose a visit to the Eddyline Brew Pub afterwards. It was beautiful out there this evening...
Old 02-12-2011   #29
That would be #4 thru #7 that I'm describing.
Old 02-12-2011   #30
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
sweet! let's do this thing. Phil, I'm sure you'll hear from Lanced and I shortly but consider it a go.

eklars is offline   Reply With Quote