Old 06-13-2012   #1
Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Options near Greensboro, Roanoke?

I am heading east for a week to visit family, and I'd like to paddle if possible. I'll be in the Greensboro, NC and Roanoke, VA areas, and I'm wondering a) what class III options might be a reasonable drive from these locations, and b) where I might be able to rent a boat -- I paddle a Little Hero, but I'm not keen on hauling it on the plane...really anything comparable would do.

Any insights would be great, thanks!

coloreque1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #2
Craig County, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2004
Moved from Blacksburg, VA a year ago and as far as paddling goes in those areas it might be slim pickins' this time of year. The New River is going to be your best bet for consistant flows. I would always playboat at McCoy Falls outside Blacksburg. The one problem with that areas is that everything is class I/II or V.

If you can do the drive the New River Gorge is always flowing and you can rent boats in Fayettville, I believe at ACE Adventures

If it rains the Maury River outside Rockbridge is my favorite class III+ run. Not sure where to rent boat in the Roanoke. If it was me I would just rent a canoe, get some beer and enjoy the water.

STEEPNDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #3
Brussels, BE
Paddling Since: 2005
Check out the Smith River west of Martinsville. Below Philpott lake is dam controlled so you might catch a release with a swift current and occasional class 2(3) play all the way back to town. Upper Smith runs with a big rain above Philpott Lake at class 3 and is a fun day trip with a 4+ mile paddle out at the end (at least double the chatooga IV tugalo paddle out, have a friend/paid servant meet you with the outboard). Looks to be right between Roanoke and Greensboro and it will be chilly water.
eride810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #4
river zen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Not much water unless you get a good rain. The new river gorge in WVa is the best bet. (Class IV @these levels) great playboating. Its about 2-3 hrs from Roanoke. If you need to rent a boat check out Back Country Ski and Sports in Salem,VA there is also a store in Blacksburg. They rent all kinds of water craft and can assist you in finding whats running. Balcony falls section of the James river is class 2 with one 3. It runs year round and is only about an 1hr from Roanoke.
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #5
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Another option is the US National Whitewater Center in Charlotte. It's not a real river, but you have guaranteed class III water and demo boats available. Charlotte is about an hour and a half from Greensboro.

You could also look into Kibler Valley on the Dan River. It's dam release and may be running. It's mostly class II but not too far from Greensboro. (Danville, VA - Official Website - Pinnacles Hydro Complex).

If you are willing to drive about 3-4 hours, you could get up to the Nantahala or French Broad.
mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #6
Lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
excellent, thanks!

coloreque1 is offline   Reply With Quote