Old 07-31-2010   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Oct/Nov Grand Kayak Trip

Going on the grand in late oct, early nov and just had a few questions about kayaking it (well actually a bunch, but we will try to keep it short). There will be other rafts along on the trip.
  1. What to wear on the river for kayaking? Dry suit needed, or just a dry top? Poggies (mostly for sun protection)?
  2. What to wear in camp? How cold does it get a night during this time?
  3. Is it worth it to bring a fly rod? Spinning rod?
Thank you all for your help.

If you are lucky enough to be in the mountains, you are lucky enough.
youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #2
pallars sobira, spain
Paddling Since: 2005
Can i go with you??? You are lucky, im from spain im travelling with my kayak if you know one opportunity for go the grand call my please! 661 477 7927

topin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010   #3
Jenks, Oklahoma
I was lucky last year and was on a GC trip that got off

mid october.

Weather might start changing later october but it was might near perfect on our trip.

days were nice, nights cool and a summer weight sleeping bag was nice. It was cold at the put in that night but other nights were just cool. Perfect sleeping weather. I took a roll a cot and my paco pad and had some of the best under the stars sleep ever. The roll a cot gets you up off the sand and creepey crawlers and is worth it's weight. Paco pads are wonderfull and the combo is about as good sleeping as it gets. I had some fleece tops and bottoms to augment my sleeping bag just in case. used them at put in but not after that.

I rowed but the kayakers in our group seemed to do fine with dry tops and fleece underneath. some wore neoprene shorts or the NRS hydroskin longs. Dry suits are always great to have as a backup and do not take up that much space, so I would take one if I were going just in case.

I am a fisherman at heart. Used to fly fish quite a bit. My opinion for what it is worth is take a spin rod and a selection of bright spoons and spinner lures. We had clear water all the way to diamond and would often see fish swimming around.

Great time of year to do the GC. Best of wishes to you and your group.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #4
Palisade, Colorado
Bring a flyrod and a few wolly buggers....many dumb fish, if its clear, which It should be in fall...
peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #5
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
went last year with a bunch of kayakers. some wore drysuits, mostly on the big/many rapid days. Temps were in the 60's to 80's for us, mostly depending on time of day/shade. got a little chilly early in the morning but not terrible. I would bring a drysuit and zero-15 sleeping bag if you have em. if not a 30 degree would probably be fine. Bring a small tarp in case it does rain you can cover yourself at night, but it only lightly rained on us for an hour one day-but hen again we had an all around perfect trip! As for fishing, we brought a flyrod but only broke it out a few times at camp. There are many camps that are very conducive to fishing, but many are not. flyfishing while floating down river is tough because of the speed of the water and the fact that you need to cover 15-25 miles a day. A spinning rod would be much more handy while floating. I would bring both, but save the fly for camp/side hikes-the small creeks that run all year are full of little rainbows! Good luck and let me know if you need another rower.
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #6
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
I have always been a big fan of sleeping out of the tent on the ground with my paco. The cots don't do much for me. Usually sleep on a tarp that I can taco in if it starts a light rain. A tent is always a good idea just in case. I've had good luck in October with the weather just starting to get cold near the take out. Just get an extra dry back that you can just leave on the boat with extra cold weather gear. On the coldest days I've had down there I just use dry top with a couple of layers, neoprene shorts and if it's realy cold some fuzzy rubber pants and poggies. Also a fuzzy rubber beanie cap.
Good luck and have fun
(15 trips)
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010   #7
sh$t show voyeuor/host
Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
I forgot to mention it was last october that I was there. dont bring a cot, the rowers will hate you and make fun of you. just use something wide and flat to smoot out the bumps in the sand where you are going to sleep, especially if you dont have a paco pad. I now recall that beanies and fleece tops and pants were pretty standard on the colder nights. Just dont let the weather fool you the day before as you are rigging your boats-it will get very hot, fairly cold, very sunny and it will probably rain. And definately dont forget drag bags for the beer!
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010   #8
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I too have a oct. mostly november permit. I just had the only other boater on my trip cancel. I am looking for oarsmen to come along. I would also welcome any kayaker who could bring some one else with a boat to carry their gear. I run a small cat so I'm sure it will be full. Launch date is oct 29th and I plan to go all the way to south cove, but could be talked into a pierce ferry take out some where around the 22 or 23rd. Pm me if you wanna go.

davecosnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote