Old 06-10-2011   #11
Cpt. No Scout
In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Originally Posted by afraid View Post
Weitas Creek bridge is closed and I thought the road only went up about a mile. I read about access involving a 4 mile hike that gives 18 miles on the creek, is there car/raft access somewhere?
Ya, its more of a kayak run. I've always had 4 wheels take us up the trail from Weitas. They may be hiking from indian post office?

idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011   #12
Okemos, Michigan
Hey Afraid, how was it last week? Thinking of heading in there this week (kayak). Is the camping still good or is it underwater?

wide eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011   #13
Big Sky, Montana
Paddling Since: 1995
I guess you could say the beaches are still underwater at 12-13,000 cfs. We started at Cedars Campground last Monday at 12,000 (@1700 at put in?). 1st night camped at Hidden Creek Campground (impossible to see the campground from the river, scout while driving by, big island above). Ran Black Canyon in round gear boats 11.5'-15', class 4 for sure @2000-4000?cfs, blind entrances, small eddies, no logs all the way across. Camped at Noe Campground, had to watch map closely to find it. Ran Whitefish Rapid at 17,500 cfs, HUGE Grand Canyon style waves! Spray Creek Rapid easy, Snoden Creek Rapid has a big hole. We camped at the only nice beach river left somewhere below Snoden and above Washington Creek Campground, just below an island. Scouted Irish Railroad, decided not to run or line it, so we camped at the one possible spot river right about a quarter mile above and hitched to take out for shuttle vehicle and then went for our vehicles at put in. Ran last section as a day trip, Governor's Creek Rapid and 2 or 3 others immediately following were pretty big class 4ish, the rest was easy. Black Canyon at these flows was about the most fun we've ever had in rafts in 16 years on rivers, amazing whitewater and scenery! I would not run it when the river's high and rising or if I saw wood floating down. 12,000-15,000 at the gauge seemed ideal for Black Canyon, lower would be ok but not in a 15'er.

afraid is offline   Reply With Quote