Old 05-05-2014   #1
., Arizona
Paddling Since: 2010
Nor-Cal paddling mid July...

Might be meeting up with my brother and some of his friends to raft the south fork of the American mid to late July. Figured I'd bring the hard shell and try to run anything else I can find (IV and under). Anyone know of any meet up groups or paddlers in the area that wouldn't mind an extra boater joining them? Been looking at the north fork and a few other runs but I'm not familiar with any of it at all. Also, any recommendations as far as outfitters for the south fork? People I'm going to be rafting with are not 'river people' but are just looking for a fun day on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Mr French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #2
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
California is pretty much in an epic drought this year so by mid July I think the only things that will be running are the dam releases on the south and middle fork of the American and the flows on the Tuolumne. The main Tuolumne at the release flows is class 4 with maybe one 5, which is easy to portage. I guide for a company that runs all three of those rivers( A good thing about going with them on the S. Fork is they have a very nice campground if you wanna stay after your trip. If by chance I am off work when you are out there and something is flowing, I would be happy to boat with you.

salsasean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #3
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I second salsasean. Those three are your only hope for water in July. I don't think the North Fork runs much except for the spring runoff. You also may want to check which days have guaranteed water, as the S. Fork doesn't have guaranteed water every day this summer.

My recommendation is to do a day on the Tuolumne, then rafting day on Cherry Creek assuming you and your crew have done rafting previously. It would be a shame to be on the T and not do Cherry also.

The V on the T is definitely an easy portage, but the shuttle is brutal.
thebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
The Emerikan isn't Nor Cal
To air is human, to get big air divine.
Dwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #5
., Arizona
Thanks for the tips! The s fork trip will be done through an outfitter since the other people have virtually no river experience. I'll be the only one running stuff before or after. Do rafting companies allow kayakers to join rafting trips? Different price...?
Salsasean, thanks and I might be contacting you once we iron out some details.

Dwave, thanks for the helpful info! Since NorCal makes up more than half the state I'm pretty sure the American river is not in SoCal. I've also lived in Folsom an the general consensus was that we lived in NorCal.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Mr French is offline   Reply With Quote