Old 07-18-2011   #1
Auburn - South Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
NF Flathead Vehicle Shuttle Options?

I'd like to float the NF Flathead next week but with only one vehicle I need help with the vehicle shuttle. Does anyone have a suggestion for shuttle service?
I spoke with Glacier Raft Company but they didn't seem to want my business even though shuttle service is advertised on their site. I also sent an email inquiry to the Flathead Shuttle Service since their voicemail was full (which isn't a good sign they'll get back to me.)
I'd appreicate helpful suggestions.

sahrariver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #2
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2009
What section are you planning to do? If you're planning to do the upper part, you might try calling the Polebridge mercantile. Don't know that they do shuttles but they are the center of the upper NF universe and could probably tell you who to talk to. Below Polebridge there is a fair amount of traffic, so you might have OK luck hitchhiking.

Just did the upper stretch from the border to Polebridge over the 4th and it was amazingly beautiful. The road up there absolutely sucks - it would have been tough in a low-clearance vehicle. The lower road can also be an adventure. One in our party hit a bear and another got somewhat stranded with a flat tire. Make sure you have good tires!

catflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #3
Auburn - South Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I'd like to float from the Border to Blankenship in 4'ish days. We normally do Rogue/Salmon/Owyhee trips but are looking for a calm water/scenic float this year. Per your "amazingly beautiful" statement this is just what we need. Did you have any trouble with trees in the water or log jams? Mosquitoes? Finding camps sites?
I'm pretty impressed someone in your party hit a bear ... that'll make quite the "no shit there I was" rafting story. Thanks for the heads up about the mercantile, maybe they know someone who wants to make a few bucks.
sahrariver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I was also up there over the 4th. So beautiful. You are going to want to bring some serious bug spray! Lots of mosquitoes. Have a great time. It is, indeed, amazingly beautiful. And, if you go to the mercantile in Polebridge, I highly recommend the Huckleberry Macaroons.
iheartfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #5
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2009
This is what the views were like on the upper section! The canyon is a little more confined down below. Bugs were kinda bad but we just dealt with it and didn't use that much spray. We camped one night on an island and another night at the polebridge takeout. Lots of private property on the west side and glacier park to the east. Might be worth researching where there is private land on the west, but there are tons of islands and anything below the high water mark is legit so long as you aren't right in front of somebodies place. Also be sure to try the huckleberry bearclaws from the merc. Mmmm....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4948.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	3846  
catflipper is offline   Reply With Quote