Old 05-08-2006   #1
Newbie in Dolores

Hi - I'm very new to Colorado and pretty new to river kayaking. I'm looking for paddle partners for getting out and exploring my new state! I am in the Dolores area, but am willing to travel to get some paddling in!

I have all my own gear, transportation and a flexible schedule! Just looking for some people who want to get out on the water.

outdoorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #2
Hey Dolores. Welcome to SW CO. I don't know of any kayakers in Dolores right now, but Durango isn't too far, less than an hour. We have an easy, fun town run (except for Smelter rapid which is easily walked) which lots of people do after work. A good way to break in to the scene (and ramp up your boating) would be to take lessons. Four corners river sports has evening and weekend stuff for all levels, even women's I think (more supportive, less competative). Not sure what they are offering this year. Check their website. Lessons are a good way to meet people at your skill level. Have fun.

fatyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #3
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
If the Stoner section is up ( 1500+ at Dolores ) Sun. we'll be coming over from Durango mid morning to around noon. Dave 385-7253
d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #4
ODG, you might want to look at that run first. There is some class III in the run. Easy to sneak but you will need to be able to maneuver your boat, hit some eddies and do some braces. Good to have a river roll too as a newbe could get knocked over. It would be a cold, shallow, rocky swim.

The run is above Stoner (the old takeut), the usual take out is across the hwy from, and below, the inconspicuous Loading Pen Canyon trailhead down a short, inconspicuous high clerance 4wd trail. Where the broad valley above Stoner starts to narrow up and the road starts to get to be high above the river. The put in for a short run is down a steep bank at a private bridge (be respectful) before you get to Taylor Creek. There are not a lot of car pull offs to look down to the crux of the run, Stampede Rapid (CRC says mile marker 29), but a bike works well. Remember that from high above, river features may look smaller than from river level.
fatyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #5
Hey girl, more beta for you. The run in town (put in at the park across from the HS) is mellow class II with a few features, includes nice play wave above Lost Canyon Creek if the lake is not full. Take out at there or at the lake. You still want to go with someone untill you get some skills, wet exit, self escue, reading water, braces, etc. We have done the whole stretch down to town from W. Fk, long Class II, braded sections with log jams (heads up!). Or work on flat water drills on Mcfee or summit. I met Lisa in Dol many years ago, where she taught me to kayak!

Lisa's hubby, Lee
Lisa Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote