Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Trip Planner

Old 04-03-2016   #1
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
New to Utah (Salt Lake City) - Looking for whitewater paddle crew

I am new to the west. Came from Pennsylvania. Looking for new crew to paddle with. Class III paddler. On the east coast, I have done the following rivers:
Black Moshannon Creek
Lower Youghiogheny
Stonycreek Canyon
Slippery Rock Creek
Clear Shade Creek
Cheat Narrows
Lower Big Sandy
Lower Gauley

Payette River (Lower Main), Idaho.

Have done a few waterfalls: Ohiopyle Falls (Youghiogheny), Wonder Falls (Lower Big Sandy), Valley Falls (Tygart River).

Would like to connect with some paddlers out here in Utah.

havanacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #2
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Utah Whitewater Club

Finding serious (i.e., folks who actually go and paddle) boaters is more hit or miss in the intermountain west for a lot of reasons, including the distances involved getting to/from decent whitewater. The Weber below Henefer (to Taggarts and beyond) is closest fun stuff, Class II at best (unless releases are over 2k, which has been rare since 2011) - it's little over an hour from SLC but a tube-filled mess on summer weekends (think LDS teens and 20-somethings with beer coolers, sometimes accompanied by frowning parents...). There's a "play park" lower down in Ogden but it also needs water to be worth the trip.
Westwater is 4-5 hours and well worth it, but only 3 miles of rapids in the 16 miles from the ranger station to Cisco.
Cat is big fun but at least a 4 day trip even putting in at Potash - and 16-18 miles of rapids in the 94 miles down to North wash.
Then there's Idaho...
Point is SLC is a great place to base but it's a long way from the big fun for serious paddlers. So most trips tend to be multi-day, not a bad thing but different from east coast scene with lots of day trip options. You can PM me for more info but I'm retired from paddling, float and bloater now but still out there.

B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #3
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Wasatch Mountain Club is another group to hook up with. We don't have a ton of kayakers in the club, but welcome them. Just as B4otter pointed out, WMC trips are usually multi-day events. Westwater, Split Mountain, Alpine Canyon, Payette are all day runs that WMC runs as weekend trips through out the summer.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #4
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Boatin + SLC = lots of driving
yak1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #5
SLC, Utwah
Attend the Utah Whitewater Club/ Utah Stream Access Coalition fundraiser at Brewvies on the 21st.
AndTheLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #6
Salt Lake City, Utah
Thanks for the info

I appreciate the info. And after a little research, knew that living in SLC wasn't as sweet as living in central PA where I was only hours or a day trip from great whitewater. I was spoiled.

Does everyone post impromptu trips on this site? If not, where? We have a few private facebook groups back east for planning impromptu trips. If so, could someone send me an invite? I will bring the beer to my first outing as an offering . PM me and I will give you my full info.

Thanks again!
Old 04-04-2016   #7
Keystone, Colorado
Steve! I knew it was you haha. Good luck finding peeps and remember us Colorado folks for boating! Headed out tomorrow for first run of the season!
Soupedupvinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #8
Salt Lake City, Utah
Krystal!! Can't wait to paddle with you again. We will make it happen soon. SYOTR!