Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Trip Planner

Old 03-05-2010   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
New to the Area! Is there anything to run around Denver tomorrow?

I moved to Denver from Alabama in late Fall. I am used to paddling year round but since I moved I have only paddled: Waterton, Royal Gorge, and the golden park. I got here when that was the only water left. Any chance I can get out and paddle the weekend? Any unkown documented spots. It looks like Decker or the chutes is the only thing running (low). Is that worth it? Let me know if you have any info. Dying to get in a boat and get some exercise other than skiing.

jnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You could probably run Parkdale (the stretch above the Gorge), it's got 250-300 going right now...Shoshone on the Colorado near Glenwood has 600...Gunny Gorge is running 600 also, but it is probably impossible to get to the trailhead...Westwater, if you want to drive to eastern Utah, and still deal with snow...sorry, but if there was more going I would be out there right now too. Arizona is going right now, and Pilar (or Racecourse) in NM is low but boatable also...welcome to Colorado!

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences. https://garna.org
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #3
Denver,, exhaustion
deckers low is pretty boney...
I am also open to getting a run in this weekend (saturday)... if anybody has ideas i'm in.
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #4
x, x
Paddling Since: x
i'd say shoshone would be a good 1/2 day. it will be cold and ice on the banks. check out new mexico's pilar. might be better then shoshone. deckers is a no go. play hole at waterton is in and surounded by ice.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Best Bet - Confluence park

You can definitely paddle at Confluence - 20th st.
It is low but the surf at 16th street should be decent, lots of eddylines to work in the park itself.
Waterton is also boatable, but you wont have any more fun with all the driving.
Otherwise you must be patient...or learn to ski/ snowboard

Juan De Confluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #6
Indian Hills, Colorado
"I moved to Denver from Alabama in late Fall."

March is usually the snowiest month of the year. Learn to love the powder skiing my friend! March is to skiing in Colorado what June is to kayaking. Embrace the seasons!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #7
Golden, Colorado
Was just up in the Deckers area last weekend, and Waterton looked boney but runable. The only issue you would have is the ice bridge at the top of Green Bridge (tried to attach a pic). Everything else was open with ice on the banks, but if you head down there, make sure to run it with somebody who knows it well. Stopping above the ice bridge didn't look to be too difficult, but getting out and up the banks with the ice extending 4+ feet into the river in that area didn't look too easy. We decided to run Deckers instead...a decent time but had a lot of beer with us.
brandon_blomquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #8
x, x
Paddling Since: x
no shit, you guys boated deckers? nice.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #9
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066

Just drove through the canyon and Sho is definitely ok. Starting to snow up here, and wind was 20 ish up the canyon, so cold boating. Once the sun comes out, it would be entertaining for a few hours if you have not done it.
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #10
the ice bridge at green bridge is gone. I was there yesterday and threw rocks at it until it fell into the river. so the run is open at least until it snows again. Real real low, not worth it.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote