Old 08-28-2013   #1
San Francisco, California
Paddling Since: 2000
New to NorCal

Hello. My name is Sam Kane. I just moved to San Francisco from DC where I grew up on the Potomac. I need to go boating soon. Can anybody recommend a play spot closest to the city? I heard there's some good stuff in Sacramento.

Brownranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013   #2
Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2007
Chyo Sam I'm new to the area as well I moved out from Colorado. I'm a rafter not a kayaker but il be exploring the American river outside of Sacramento in the next few weekends. There's a raft kayak gear swap coming up on the 7th and 8th of September in Lotus CA il be attending and getting the rest of my gear. I'm sure u can meet plenty of fellow paddlers there. I don't know what your opinion is on rafters but I'd love to have u along on a trip. Il be starting on the mellower south fork and working my way up to middle and north fork I just picked up a 12 foot paddle cat from USSR.

Pstennik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013   #3
Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2003
Barking Dog...

If you are looking for a surf wave (other than the ocean) your best reliable bet is probably going to be Barking Dog on the SF American. There is quite a bit of online beta for you to read up on the south fork but Coloma or Camp Lotus are going to be your get in...the wave is a short distance down river from there and you can take out at Greenwood. It is still going to be a bit of a drive for you but this time of year it's your best bet. There are other seasonal spots that will come in that might be closer to you but those are obviously weather dependent. Plenty of good folks up in the Coloma area to key you in as well.
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014   #4
Lotus, California
Paddling Since: 2014
Talk to the folks at the River Store in Lotus or California Canoe & Kayak in Coloma (3/4 mi apart) they can give some good river tips

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
JWCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #5
south lake tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 1974
Posts: 95 is the way to go if youre solo. $10 and super convenient. Once you're feeling up to speed check out the Tuolumne as well as North and Middle Fork American. I live in Tahoe, float all of them a lot. Moved from Virginia Beach 20 years ago. Let me know if you ever want to meet up
chiapet74 is offline   Reply With Quote